Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After much searching here and on the internet- there seems to be
not-much-info regarding the use of these other than "this one didn't fit,that one didn't work, the cross bars are too wide..yada yada yada..." without offering any solutions.

Is anyone using a Thule or Yakima rooftop cargo carrier (the pod type- not fabric) with the stock roof rack cross bars?

If so, which one? I would like to carry fishing equipment in it along with blankets etc.
I was looking at the Thule Acent 1100 http://www.rei.com/product/762248 or the Yakima skybox 12 http://www.orsracksdirect.com/yakima-skybox-12-cargo-roof-box-7160.html.

I would like to try to get by with using the original "too wide" stock cross bars and not having to purchase new ones.
Any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Yeah, I use the Thule Excursion for mine with no problems. I'm not sure if it would work with fishing gear (as far as the poles go) but it holds everything I need when I go camping. I have to redo the spacing on the bars but we have no problem with the rack fitting. Here is a pic of when we just went camping a few months ago.

·
2,248 Posts
Here is the factory pod. They come in two sizes and I got the larger one. I had the roof cross bars that screw on from the top and the dealer had to change them for the locking cross bars. I am glad to have the locking bars anyway. Here is a picture of the roof pod.

·
Registered
282 Posts
huey, does the pod have a kit that mounts to the cross bars? also does the pod lock? im in the market also

·
Registered
141 Posts
We've got the Yakima Skybox 18. It is lockable and works very well. Fits fine on the factory roof rack.

·
2,248 Posts
huey, does the pod have a kit that mounts to the cross bars? also does the pod lock? im in the market also
It mounts to the crossbars from inside of the pod and it does have a lock on the pod and each of the crossbars have a lock.

We never take it off. It may effect gas mileage, but I do not really care. Lee once pulled right into a parking garage, luckily it was high enough.

I also does not interfere with the sat radio antenna on the back roof.

·
Registered
282 Posts
i found a good price on the skybox 18. anything i should be aware of or look for in a roof pod in particular before i buy

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have the Yakima SkyBox 16 and it fits the factory crossbars fine. I have used it on three roadtrips so far and it has been great. You put it on, load it up and forget about it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Bringing this back up because i am running in to this issue and have the box. I have a Thule Evolution and the u-bolts do not fit around what i think is the standard factory roof bars. are the sport ones skinnier than the standard? also can I change these bars out for something else using the same bar base? :alf:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts