Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I could never tilt my steering wheel up enough. It seemed like there was room for it to go up, but something was blocking it.
Well, there was, and here’s what I did to fix it…

1. Lower your tilt steering wheel all the way.
2. Lift the flap above the steering column.
3. Observe white plastic spacer. (sorry I do not have a pic of the actual spacer – my finger below is pointing to where it was)

4. Grab white plastic spacer, pull & wiggle until it pops free.
5. Raise tilt steering to desired height.

This should give you an extra inch of tilt upwards. It may not seem like much, but to me it is way more comfortable now.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Obviously thinking the same thing, but two days of driving and no issues so far.
If you (or anybody) does not feel comfortable pushing it all the way up, you could push it up then drop it ever so slightly and then lock it in place.

·
Registered
230 Posts
That is cool that you noticed that - I have thought that it just doesn't move enough upwards either. I wonder why they have that thing there!

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I guessing it is there to keep the steering wheel from being set at to much of an obtuse angle. If the average height person were to have the wheel at full height, and crashed, serious injury could occur.

I'm guessing shredX is taller than most of us. :)

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
This was actually one of the first things I noticed when I test drove the Commander. I'm 6'7", and having the steering wheel on my knees isn't the way I enjoy driving. Plus, unless I have the seat back in "ghetto cruizin mode", I can't see the top of the guages.

I will be doing this "mod" this afternoon. Thanks!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fohn_Jargo said:
I guessing it is there to keep the steering wheel from being set at to much of an obtuse angle. If the average height person were to have the wheel at full height, and crashed, serious injury could occur.

I'm guessing shredX is taller than most of us. :)
I don't think it's at too much of an angle. I kind if feel like it's where I've put the steering wheel in all of my vehicles.

Oh yeah, I'm 6'2".

·
Banned
3,373 Posts
that is a little weird. we were looking at the V8 nissan pathfinder and it did the same thing. although it unlooked the doors when you go near the vehicle with your key fob.

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
Well damn, I wish I had known this before last Tuesday! I could have used an extra inch of leg space when I curled up in my seat when we stopped to rest while moving across country! Oh well, I'll know better for next time. Thanks for the quickie mod!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Nice, I am 6'3" and my wife is 5'3" and it doesn't bother her a bit, but for me I will be loving this....Now what about the door release handle, crappy spot for that if you ask me it could be up higher...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Quick, update on this one. Wife took commander to Dealer for routine service and Service Manager noticed steering wheel up higher and said this is a no-no. According to the Dealer this spacer is important for the Air-Bag system and and that if its removed will affect warranty with steering and air bag deployment system.

They put spacer back in and I will leave it, by the way its Lake Norman Dodge-Jeep in Cornelius NC. if anyone has any questions.

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
Oops... didn't see that you guys already covered that on page 2. Oh well, I guess I was right! I know someone who got hurt in a slow speed crash because he modified his tilt steering on his Chrysler. Something happened when the air bag deployed that caused thw wheel to go beyond the normal full "up" position and the airbag wasn't able to properly cushion the blow to his head.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Great idea! Is there a spacer on the lowering end?

Seeing as how the steering column is used in other vehicles, the spacer might be there to ensure the correct angle within a range for the airbag deployment. Obviously people of all sizes buy Commanders so the limiter or spacer could be to make sure it covers all. If the wheel is up only when you drive, because you're tall, one would think you're still within the angle.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I think the major issue is the angle the air bag is deployed at which can cause conciderable harm if the bag strikes the driver at a upward angle.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts