Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has been 3 weeks and I cannot take it anymore :eek: . I need to begin modifying this tank.

Plan on ordering the RR2.25" lift kit ASAP (please comment). I have read an endless amount of threads on this site and many are using the RR lift kit and like the ride. I talked with RR and feel comfortable about this kit.

I spoke with my mechanic today about the kit and he is ready to bolt it on. Plan on increasing the tire size to 265 70/17 (31.6") as used by many others on this site that have put on the same lift kit. Anyone using a bigger tire than this? Most likely going to need wheel spacers while I plan to use the exisitng Wrench Style 17x7.5" stock rims and the steering knuckle assembly will most likely be in the way. Going to wait and see what kind of spacer to use after the lift is on. This will depend on tire size and style (round edge or square edge of tire).

Comment welcome!

·
Registered
396 Posts
Lift with factory tires:

Lift with Revo's:

·
Registered
476 Posts
I would like to lift my XK using the RR 2.25 and mentioned this to the service dept at Jasper Jeep. They did not seem to interesed in doing the job.

I live in the metro-Atlanta GA area and would like input/suggestions from members on how to determine who to trust to do the job.

Comments please :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
HC,

I went and talked with my Jeep dealership and they sublet the work out to 4x4 offraod unlimited here in the Phoenix area. My advisor told me to go directly to them and talk to them for the delaership would add their own price into the deal which was about an additional 1K (I have a pretty cool advisor after only knowing the guy for 3 weeks). So I went and talked with 4x4 ORU. They had never done a lift on a Commander and had to do a bit of research about it. I told them I had done the research and and wanted either a RR or Rusty's lift (pretty much the same packakge lift). They said they would get back to me. I called them 5 days later (they did not call me) and they said the only lift they would put on was a Daystar lift. Sooooo I told them nevermind.

My wife does cable advertising here in the Phoenix area represents a shop. They are going to do the job for me with a RR lift. They are also doing the tires. They have picked out Nitto Terra Grapplers 265/70/17 for me and some ezaccessory wheel adapters to clear the (idiotic placement) steering knuckle. Do some research in your area, talked to some people, and make some freinds. They may help you with the lift. That is what my wife and I did and it worked out for us. If you talk to some people and they do not seem interested in assisting you or accepting your money, talk to someone else. Otherwise they may do a half-ass job.

The lift is extremely simple. I talked with Glenn Wakefield at RR and he emailed the lift instructions to me. It is 14 steps. If you have the right tools it can be done in your garage in about 6 hours for a first timer. Me, I do not feel like tackling this myself. I have had some freinds at work whom have done many of lifts and are itching to get their hands on my Jeep after I purchased it and mentioned the lift. If it was not for the professionalism and courtesy provided to me by my wife's freinds at the auto shop she represents, I would be under the truck right now with about 5 people from work.

·
Registered
396 Posts
My local Jeep Dealer - Tuttle Click did the job. They have 2 techs that work on aftermarket accessories, and showed no hesitation to do the lift. I watched a portion of the install and the tech seemed competent.

I've installed suspensions on street cars (mustangs, bmws) but never a SUV. And I didn't have the time to get it done in time for a trip, so I asked around, and one of the Board members recommended Tuttle Click. Thanks Intreper....

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
sdrews0420 said:
HC,

I called them 5 days later (they did not call me) and they said the only lift they would put on was a Daystar lift. Sooooo I told them nevermind.
I spoke with them also about the lift a couple of weeks ago (they did my OME lift on my Cherokee) and they told me that they had the Daystar lift. I also said no thank you as I don't want an all poly spacer lift. Unfortunately the folks at OME don't have a Commander lift kit yet, or I would buy it in a heartbeat as I love the ride quality of the one I have on my Cherokee.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Interesting comments coming from 4x4ORU don't you think? I do not know why they would recommend a complete poly spacer lift when they are aware of the Rusty's and RR metal front and poly back spacer lifts that are available. Not too happy with them. I called RR and their lift is on backorder 1 week. I am now just trying to determine the backspacer wheel adapters to purchase or if I should break down and buy new wheels and sell my entore set on ebay!:confused:

·
Registered
476 Posts
Guys,

I appreciate the input. I have been asking around and have a few prospects. I have very little mechanical capabilities and would never attempt such a task. Like most, I am also very particular as to who I will trust to even touch my XK - and am willing to pay what ever extra cost are involved to get it done right.

I have also sent an e-mail to the president of the dealership explaining my conversation with the tech and asking his advice.

Have a great weekend - enjoy the mud! :D

·
Registered
331 Posts
HemiCommander said:
I would like to lift my XK using the RR 2.25 and mentioned this to the service dept at Jasper Jeep. They did not seem to interesed in doing the job.

I live in the metro-Atlanta GA area and would like input/suggestions from members on how to determine who to trust to do the job.

Comments please :)
i wonder if it is due to concern that suspension modifications can effect your warranty coverage? this is not typical work for a dealer, and they may not have anyone experienced in that type of job. I worked as a finance manager at a jeep dealer in Pa for 6 years, and have friends in the service dept. they won't do a lift job there either. too much exposure to liability. can't really blame them. people love to sue dealers whnever they can. no reason to expose yourself to potential liability in the event of a rollover or voided warranty.

I just got an xk, and plan to lift it. this forum has been .....eye opening. i hadn't even considered the wheel spacer concern, for example.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts