Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been hearing some grinding from the rear when I brake, so I had my local shop take a look. Looks like Large Marge needs new rear rotors and pads all the way around. They want to sell me stuff they have, but I'd like to step up a little, if I can. Any recommendations before I start the research process? (Hawk pads seem to have a good rep) :read: I'd like to know if you guys have found solid aftermarket brake parts that don't break the bank too much. The shop will install them if I bring the parts in. I guess I'm looking for stuff that rates 7-8 on a 1-10 scale. Thanks in advance. Cheers.

·
Super Moderator
14,964 Posts
Maybe some cross-drilled and slotted rotors.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I like my DBA rotors, slotted and drilled. Sounds cool when I brake. Spread your fingers and way your hand in front of your mouth and blow. Had them for years so I cant say if it is an improvement as I am used to them but I would guess it is.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I would go with the Rotors mentioned above (I have stock but they are what I want when it is time).

X2 On the Hawk HPS pads though. I have them love, love them, and will buy more.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input. Great suggestions from all. After a couple of hours looking around I'm going with the Hawk pads, EBC dimple-drilled and slotted rotors and AMSOIL brake fluid. I'll post an after-install review in this thread. Cheers.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Its a very rare car that street driven slotted/drilled rotors will get you anything, even off road. I don't know for sure for the Commander, but unless someone has some data to prove it, I'm skeptical and will stick with OEM design rotors.

Get cheap slotted/drilled rotors, that are just stock with holes/slots drilled/cut in them, likely they'll perform worse, reduce the life of the pads and be far more likely to crack or warp.

The safe bet, just get a good quality set of OEM design rotors, like Raybestos Premium Rotors, cost less, last longer and be more reliable with NO difference in performance. Put the money toward a good set of pads that will make a difference in performance.

Of course people buy them for looks as well, although NOT my cup of tea, if that is what you want, have at it, I'm skeptical they'll really perform better for a Commander driven on the street or off-road.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
For offroading I highly recommend not getting drilled rotors. Any (minuscule) benefits from the holes are quickly deteriorated when they pack with dirt/mud.... and are usually worse off than not having them to begin with.

Slots on the other hand have been known to help shed dirt/mud/rocks that otherwise can become embedded in the pads while braking.... the slotted channel gives the particles an "escape route" per say.

$.02

·
Registered
392 Posts
I was hoping Mongo (or Robby) was going to chime in on this. As a newbie to this forum and not a car genius by any means I didn't want to over step my bounds with answering this question. I have read that cross drilled and slotted rotors do nothing as far asthe claims of them helping in the escaping of gases or keeping the rotor cool. In the same article they sited a study (that I cannot find now) that said drilled or slotted rotors are actually weaker than solid standard ones and tend to crack more easily.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts