Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time to get rid of the Fortera HL. Hated them from the start and now with almost 50k, they need to be replaced before winter.

Live in Michigan.
Drive 20-25k a year. A majority Oct - Mar.
Take them hunting about a dozen times a year.
No trailering.
Want a good tire that will handle the winter snow in Michigan.
Would prefer not to hurt the mpg much.
Looking for under $800 out the door.

My preferred tire is the Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armour but the price is above what I can afford.

Right now, I am thinking of getting the Hankook ATM RF10. The price is right. The tread might be just a little too aggressive for what I want. Afraid that it might bring down the mpg too much.

I think that I might want something between the fortera and the Wrangler as far as tread design.

I you need any more information, let me know.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
I probably have similar driving situation as you ... Michigan winters, go up to the cabin in the winter several times...drive about 25k a year.

I have GY Silent Armours and find them to be great for my needs.

I had Coopers Discoverers HT on a Jeep Grand Cherokee in the past and they were great for highway and road....not an agressive tread. But the Coopers Discoverer's M +S or ATR's might be a good choice. I think they cost less than the Silent Armors.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wrangler silent armours are running over $900. That is the only reason I am not getting them.
The Hankook would cost $650.

Did you lose any MPG with the Wranglers?

Also forgot to mention that I need stock tire size. 245-65-17.

No mods or lifts added.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
I can't really tell about the mpg's because I got a 2 inch lift, added Spydertrax wheel spacers and got 32" tires (255/75/17's) all at the same time. I did take a hit in mpg's but that is probably a combination of the heavier rolling weight of both spacers and heavier tire and the tire design itself.

I think it would probably be hard to beat the Fortera's for mpg.

I've heard a few people getting the Hankooks and like them. No experience with them myself.

Also, you could get a slightly taller tire even while running stock everything else. You might try for 245/70/17's. They would be 1 inch taller diameter.

·
Registered
195 Posts
FWIW - I have the BFG TA/KO's for about 15k miles now. Driven from TX to MI twice, once in the winter. Could not get them to slip no matter how much I tried in the MI snow (ok, maybe a little @ 3/4 throttle). So far, good wear, low noise (except on grooved pavement, but then what isn't loud!). I check pressure regularly and rotate as close to every 5 k as possible. I averaged 17.8 mpg during the winter trip, there and back.

I have spoken to a few that run Hankooks and they seem to like them. I don't have same info as above on em tho.

Hope this helps.

PS - I am with GPintheMitten on a slightly larger tire...

·
Registered
195 Posts
I think it depends on how aggresive the tread is. Any good tire place will mount a tire on your rim and check it before they sell it to you. Depends how much time you want to invest at the place.

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
I went with the Wrangler Silent Armour, 1 size bigger: P255/65R17. I got Goodyear to prorate my Forteras. Forteras are a 60,000 mile tire, but at 30,000 miles, I had less than 1/4 tread left. I paid about $700.00. They have a much more agressive tread, so are a little noisier, but they have not affected the milage. I have no rub issues with these tires at all. :eek:rangehat:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts