Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '06 has 60k on the current stock set and the tread is pretty low. I figure if I'm going to get new tires, I want to do something bigger. I was thinking I could do a 2" lift (found a local place that would sell the kit and do the install for $250-300 total) and add some 255/70/17s.

Here's my Jeep currently, bought it used and the guy before me put a lot of the chrome stuff on it. I like it all, except for the nostril things on the front, but afraid to take them off as i'm sure it will jack up the paint beneath it:

These are the wheels I'd like to put on (from Discount Tire), along with possibly some Hankook DynaPro ATM RF10s

Also considering the solid black wheels. I just think these will blend better with the chrome on the car and think the solid black wont match as well.

Any thoughts, tips, recommendations? I really want to avoid rubbing, as I dont want to mess with the pinch weld area. I'm not the greatest mechanic in the world. I can tell you more about piston airplane engines than car engines.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
I think that would be a great combination. If I had it to do over, I would opt for the 255/70R17 (31's) instead of the 255/75R17's (32's) that I got. In my opinion, that extra 1/2" of road clearance is not worth all the trimming and hammering based on how I drive.

I agree, that a little chrome on the wheels compliments your vehicle.

I do like my Silent Armors but those Hancocks look good.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Regarding those ventiport thingys.....those are usually just two sided tape.
You can use dental floss in a sawing action to cut the tape and remove the accessory.
The remaining material can be removed by warming with a hair drier and rolling it off the finish with your thumb (NOT THUMBNAIL....The fingerprint side).
Any remaining residue will come off by gently wiping a soft towel that is moistened with WD-40.
A final follow up with a bit of cleaner wax (gently) will remove all traces.

Be patient,
Rob

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Regarding those ventiport thingys.....those are usually just two sided tape.
You can use dental floss in a sawing action to cut the tape and remove the accessory.
The remaining material can be removed by warming with a hair drier and rolling it off the finish with your thumb (NOT THUMBNAIL....The fingerprint side).
Any remaining residue will come off by gently wiping a soft towel that is moistened with WD-40.
A final follow up with a bit of cleaner wax (gently) will remove all traces.

Be patient,
Rob

Ah nice! Thanks! I just wonder if there will be an oval of red paint that's colored differently than the rest of the paint that has been exposed to the natural elements for the past 3 years.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
There may be a fade difference initially but you may find it has disappeared in a year.
Since these are attached to a side surface, fading, if any, would be minimal.
No one but you will be able to see it, because you will know where to look.
But, if they make you nuts, and they would me, I'd run with removal knowing any mismatch will disappear over time.

Rob

P.S. The Jeep is 3 years old.....but I'll bet those have only been on a year or so.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
I agree, take the nostrils off.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, you guys have me convinced, they're coming off. I bought this in Feb of '08. It had them on there when I got them. It was the only "upgrade" the previous owner did that I did not like. They just look cheap.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm on the same page as you, even looking at the same tire. The Hankook 255/70 R17 ATM FR10s. Lot's of good reviews. I'm getting my 2incher installed this weekend.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yeah, you guys have me convinced, they're coming off. I bought this in Feb of '08. It had them on there when I got them. It was the only "upgrade" the previous owner did that I did not like. They just look cheap.
So you have been driving that thing for almost 2 years with those hideous vent/port things on your Jeep?? You are either :notallthere: or :eek:utofcloset:. I'll bet your friends love it when its your turn to drive.:rofl: Get them ugly things off of that good looking Jeep!!

·
Registered
809 Posts
Yup, vents will look better off. It's just as easy as Robby describes. For what it's worth, when I debadged I used a little sticky tack to pick up the tiny remaining specks before waxing.

And, are your front tow hooks upside down?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So you have been driving that thing for almost 2 years with those hideous vent/port things on your Jeep?? You are either :notallthere: or :eek:utofcloset:. I'll bet your friends love it when its your turn to drive.:rofl: Get them ugly things off of that good looking Jeep!!
I may be not all there, but def not out of the closet (or in it for that matter), lol. And my friends dont care what the exterior looks like, I'm the only one who can fit 7 people in a car. I honestly just havent paid much attention to the Jeep other than driving it and regular service. Over the past two years I've been a little preoccupied with getting married, building a house, finishing basement in said house, and waaaay too many hobbies. Now that I've got some time to mess with the car, they're coming off. And I didnt know how to get them off without peeling off paint, figured that would be uglier than the nostrils themselves.

kansas1230 said:
And, are your front tow hooks upside down?
Those were on when I got it, and I've never used them. I did a little search to see how they should go on.. and it looks like they were mounted to the wrong side of that plate, from the bottom instead of on top. I may try to fix them, but might just leave them as is since I dont really use them for anything - I just hook up to the trailer hitch if I'm pulling someone out of a mess.

·
Registered
127 Posts
With those wheels you are looking to buy, you can should easily be able to run 265/70-17 and even 255/75-17. Those have a +25mm offset. There should be no trimming/cutting involved either. Those wheels are the same offset/size as mine, and I currently run 265/70-17 with no rubbing at all. Usually any tire shop would be willing to "test fit" a size for you, pending they have the product in stock and want your business.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
With those wheels you are looking to buy, you can should easily be able to run 265/70-17 and even 255/75-17. Those have a +25mm offset. There should be no trimming/cutting involved either. Those wheels are the same offset/size as mine, and I currently run 265/70-17 with no rubbing at all. Usually any tire shop would be willing to "test fit" a size for you, pending they have the product in stock and want your business.
Ah that is great to know, thanks! I like these wheels from Discount Tire, but I'd have to go to Oklahoma City (5+ hours) to visit an actual store, so I would probably be going into this blindly by ordering them and having shipped to my house. I'm going to have a friend photoshop the wheels onto a picture of my Jeep to make sure I like the overall look first. But I think they'll be great. I wanted 265/70, but was afraid I'd have rubbing, so I'm glad to hear the wheel size/offset will prevent that. Do you have to use any spacers, or just throw the wheels/tires on and good to go?

·
Registered
127 Posts
No spacers! If you are that far from a store just order them from Discount Tire Direct and stay with the 265's and should just be a "bolt on and go".
BTW, what lift are you going with?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I may be not all there, but def not out of the closet (or in it for that matter), lol. And my friends dont care what the exterior looks like, I'm the only one who can fit 7 people in a car. I honestly just havent paid much attention to the Jeep other than driving it and regular service. Over the past two years I've been a little preoccupied with getting married, building a house, finishing basement in said house, and waaaay too many hobbies. Now that I've got some time to mess with the car, they're coming off. And I didnt know how to get them off without peeling off paint, figured that would be uglier than the nostrils themselves.
I'm just messing with ya. Just get them off asap. They are ugly. I really do like the wheels you have picked out. How much are they going to cost ya?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
BTW, what lift are you going with?
I think he said its the Rocky Road one. I need to verify before I schedule anything. He quoted the same price as everything I've found online, so I'll just have him order it instead of paying shipping online.

GOFASTER said:
I'm just messing with ya. Just get them off asap. They are ugly. I really do like the wheels you have picked out. How much are they going to cost ya?
No, I completely agree, they're ugly. For some reason my wife likes them, but she's not allowed in the garage anyways, so what happens in there is my call :)

It looks like the wheels, tires, TPMS will run close to $1300 for the package. I may have to wait until tax returns come in.. easier to justify an expense like this when checking acct > credit card debt :)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just got the RC 2" lift done today, with the 1/2" Rusty's spacers. Put the 265/70 Hankook DynaPros on with the wheels I have pictured at the top. So far no rubbing at all!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts