Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the jeep has had a slight vibration/surging feeling when I lightly brake. It has been getting worse lately. Im sure its from warped rotors. Im looking at getting a set of slotted rotors from www.brakeperformance.com My buddy said that you dont want drilled rotors for an offroad vehicle but that slotted would be ok. What do you guys think? Also does anyone have any suggestion on a good quality brake pad to go in combo with these rotors?
Ok, one last question. Will I need to torque the rotors down to a specific amount, or do i just make them nice and tight? Thanks for any help on this, Im open to all opinions. -Firehawk45cal

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Drilled rotors tend to heat crack at the holes, slotted have few problems but warpage can happen to any rotor.
Unless you are using the Commander as a track vehicle (LOL) there is little need for drilled or slotted.
Regarding pads.........purely subjective and you are on the verge of getting TONS of opinions.
I prefer originals because they are quiet and stop well.
Rotors are held against hubs by the wheels and their lugs.
Torqueing the wheels to spec is all that is necessary.

Good Luck,
Rob

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I always go with ceramic pads but that is just my preference. Like robby stated, Id stay away from the drilled or slotted rotors unless you plan on taking your XK to the track. Any premium rotor will work just fine for your needs.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Like others have pointed out...you only benefit from slot/drilled rotors for high speed activities... there won't be any rotor/pad combo that will stop the 5000lb Jeep like a sports car. Ceramics tends to have less brake dust. I would stick with regular rotors and OEM spec pads. Any more aggressive pads are only beneficial for track use (plus lots more dust).

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your thoughts on this guys. I guess i was thinking that the slotted might have some benefits, plus these didnt seem to be much more money than a premium oem rotor. These slotted ended up being around 75 bucks a piece and free shipping.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts