Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Timing chain broke at 145000 miles without warning on my 2010 Commander, replace timing chain and both gears, now getting P0016 and will not idle, run great for about five minutes on the first start up after repairs PS replaced cam and crankshaft sensors and camshaft oil control valve. Any help or ideas

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Timing chain broke at 145000 miles without warning on my 2010 Commander, replace timing chain and both gears, now getting P0016 and will not idle, run great for about five minutes on the first start up after repairs PS replaced cam and crankshaft sensors and camshaft oil control valve. Any help or ideas
@[email protected];

Welcome to the forum;

P0016: Crankshaft/Camshaft Timing Misalignment; A rationality error has been detected for camshaft position out of phase with the crankshaft.

Jeep Grand Cherokee WJ - Diagnostic Trouble Codes

https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/58-diagnostic-trouble-codes-dtc/

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I just looked this up in the factory service manual. There are a bunch of tests that could be done if the appropriate test equipment is available... I usually skip that part :laugh2:.

The fact that it was running well for 5 minutes suggests that the timing of the engine was correct and the timing chain was set up properly, unless the timing chain somehow slipped a tooth but that seems unlikely.

Perhaps one of those new crank or cam sensors is defective? I'm not sure how difficult it would be to access those, but I would consider reinstalling one or both of the original sensors to see if that corrects the issue. I would also check that the connectors and wiring didn't get damaged.

Let us know how it goes.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
I just looked this up in the factory service manual. There are a bunch of tests that could be done if the appropriate test equipment is available... I usually skip that part :laugh2:.

The fact that it was running well for 5 minutes suggests that the timing of the engine was correct and the timing chain was set up properly, unless the timing chain somehow slipped a tooth but that seems unlikely.

Perhaps one of those new crank or cam sensors is defective? I'm not sure how difficult it would be to access those, but I would consider reinstalling one or both of the original sensors to see if that corrects the issue. I would also check that the connectors and wiring didn't get damaged.

Let us know how it goes.
Could be that - or it could be that something was not properly torqued to spec and could have moved slightly out of position/alignment after that initial 5 minutes of running after the repairs were made.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
timing chain

thanks, been a truck mechanic over 30 yrs this one got me seeking help. The Commander was running fine, no trouble lights before the timing chain broke, in my day timing chain breakage unheard of.

·
Registered
86 Posts
thanks, I just don't have the needed test equipment, The jeep ran fine with no trouble code until the timing chain broke.
Did you check the cam and crank sensors? Pull the connectors off and check the pins, make sure the sensors are installed correctly. If that doesn't work, put the old ones back in and try again. Don't necessarily need the expensive test equipment.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
you have a hemi too, the timing chain guide and tensioner made from plastic, my guide was broken in two pieces. Chrysler's hemi with VVT are known to have timing chain breakage. I did call Chrysler, they logged my complaint because my engine was out of warranty, I ask for help with the repair cost because of recall on some hemi, not at this time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts