Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember someone asking about the max angle the Commander can drive on before it tips over. Someone else mentione that you would probably chicken out before that angle was found.

Well, I dicided to make my own angle indicator out of a protractor, some fishing line and a couple of fishing weights.

I taped it to the little cubby above the rearview mirror and found an angle to test it on.

Here is the result.

As you can see this is about 14 degrees and I think I could go to about 18 degrees before I would completly chicken out. 14 was pretty close though. :)

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
I've had my bubble level at just about 30 without tipping. No spacers, 2" lift. I need pics now I see. =)

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Good tool you came up with :) ,,, creative :) ,,,

·
Banned
1,397 Posts

Have you ever seen this "offroad" course at Camp Jeep (New York International Auto Show)? Part of the course is a similar angle to your pics, but I believe it's a bit steeper. The Jeep drivers know all the facts and tell you when you're on each part of the course. Unfortunately, I don't remember the exact angle, but it sure felt pretty steep when you're on it.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There really wasn't much of a pucker factor. I was hoping to go a little more that that is the most I was willing to try without a spotter!

There is some steep sided hills on the sides of the roads here. I may have to try again sometime.

This is an example of the topography of Bella Vista, AR.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
Thats a really flat area of AR. Even the cars,trees, and the buildings are all flat! lol

·
Registered
576 Posts
I remember testing a Hummer H2 on one of the GM driver days here in Dallas, Tx and that was most 'pucker inducing'!

I finally get to test drive a Commander I have my eye on tomorrow... however, I don't think the dealer would appreciate me 'testing' it like this!

·
Registered
190 Posts
That protractor and string look to be at 19 degrees to me. Maybe I'm not looking at it correctly.

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
I agree with the assessment of 19 degrees.

·
Registered
451 Posts
That does appear to be 19. Is there a factory spec on that? If not, anyone up for some destructive testing?????

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
There probably IS a factory spec, but it wouldn't affect those with lifts or tire changes.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts