Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a CAI system on my Hemi XK and the next project is the cat back exhaust. I've seen the previous posts about the exhaust, but I'm leaning towards the Gibson or the 50 series flowmaster muffler using the stock pipes if doable.

I've used Borla's on my previous Wranglers and loved the sound, but the cost is a bit pricey (similar to magnaflow )

Question 1: Does anyone know if existing tubes can be used with the 50 series flowmaster.

Question 2: What is the diameter of the tubes ( 2.5 or 3" )

thanks in advance

·
2,248 Posts
Last year, when I bought my Commander, I just went to a muffler shop an had them put on a 50 series Flowmaster muffler. They cut off the stock muffler and replaced it and I also had them put on a chrome turn down extension on the end. It was not a big deal and it sounds really deep. It does not bother me at speed, but I usually have the windows up. It does really get attention when you start it up.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
I have the Gibson and if I had it to do over, I'd do what HueyPilotVN and RedCommander have done: have a Flowmaster 50 installed. The Gibson's tailpipe is just a little off on the bends so it bangs against the rear frame extensions; the tip has also melted the bumper cover where it exits the truck. Flowmaster's less expensive and keeps the stock tailpipe (2.5" diameter), so its the winner in my book.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
I have the Gibson and like it but it does have a drone at certain speeds and I bent the chrome tip while off-roading, I have also heard Hueypilots system and would recommend you consider the Flowmaster. Here are some sound clips of the Gibson and the Flowmaster:
This first one is the Gibson on my 5.7 XK

and this is the Flowmaster on Bills 4.7 XK

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Cool. I was going to do a soundclip of the 50-SUV on my 4.7, but now I don't have to. It sounds just like that.

I've said it before, but I strongly recommend the 50-SUV for the killing of all drone/resonance. the SUV is the important (and more expensive) part. Internally the muffler is the same as the 50, but it's about 6" thicker overall and eliminates the drone entirely. You don't want to hear it in the cabin, just roll up the windows.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts