Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought an 06 3.7 last week and the wife's sister has an 06 LIMITED.She's in South Jersey by the shore.What are the best tires for her Commander with 0 off road driving.As for mine,I'm in upstate NY where it started snowing Monday night and it hasn't quite stopped yet!I only go off pavement when i'm taking the dog to some field somewhere.It gets below 0 up here and snows like it's going out of style.I'd be interested in the best ALL SEASON tires for these two vehicles.Thanks.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Matt,are they good dry road tires too??Nice,quiet ride and all that??Did you get them locally or online??She's in Seaside so I'll direct her as to wher she should go_OH,and what's the mileage rating and all that?

By the way,I left Seaside the morning of that giant storm a few weeks ago.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
They're great on dry roads too... but they're not as quiet as the stock tires. That's usually a bit of the trade off. Don't get me wrong, they're not loud by any means.... but they do make more sound than a highway tread pattern.

They also have a 6 year 60,000 mile treadwear warranty (for the non LT sizes)

Some other good all-season tires to consider are the Goodyear Silent Armor and the Bridgestone Dueler Revo.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I presume the LIMTIED 4.7 Commander has bigger tires sizes then my 3.7 with leather,right? These all are available in the corresponding sizes I imagine?

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
You both would run the same tire size.

And yes, the tires i'm mentioning are available in the stock sizes.

Although if you want to run a 2" spacer lift and a slightly larger tire size, that's always a good option too :eek:rangehat:

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
I run Goodyear Silent Armors. I like them. They have been great in 2 seasons (now third) in Michigan's snows.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I run Goodyear Silent Armors. I like them. They have been great in 2 seasons (now third) in Michigan's snows
How many miles are they good for??Quiet on dry pavement??Thanks.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I usually don't give tire advice, but it sounds like you are really looking for a silent tire.
Like GP said above the silent armors are just that and more.
I run Pirelli Scorpion ATR's, live in Northeast, Ohio "snowbelt" and have never had any snow or ice issues. When I changed from the Fotera's my goal was quiet.
I drive about 35,000 a year highway so wasn't looking for a agressive off road tire, though they have been off road, about 130 miles in Moab and many other trips.
I have 65,000 miles on them now, and my Christmas present to me was new digs.
I could probably get another 10,000 out of them but my son started driving and I want the best under his feet. So... new ones are coming soon, like next week.
Good luck with your decision.
Forgot something.. My parnets live South of Daytona and yes been on the beach at least twice a year and no issues. Only been in mud about 6" no issues there but wouldn't go anny deeper.

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
I run Goodyear Silent Armors. I like them. They have been great in 2 seasons (now third) in Michigan's snows.
x2. I went 1 size bigger, P255/65R17, just for the look. They are slightly noiser than the stock Forteras, as they have a much more agressive tread, but they perform flawlessly in the mud, snow, sand, etc. I wouldn't even think about getting snow tires! My original Forteras had less than 1/4 the tread at 30,000 (they are rated 60,000) so Goodyear gave me $100 off on each tire. I couldn't be happier. These are rated 50,000 and when the time comes to replace them I will purchase the same tire. :eek:rangehat:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I usually don't give tire advice, but it sounds like you are really looking for a silent tire.
Like GP said above the silent armors are just that and more.
I run Pirelli Scorpion ATR's, live in Northeast, Ohio "snowbelt" and have never had any snow or ice issues. When I changed from the Fotera's my goal was quiet.
I drive about 35,000 a year highway so wasn't looking for a agressive off road tire, though they have been off road, about 130 miles in Moab and many other trips.
I have 65,000 miles on them now, and my Christmas present to me was new digs.
I could probably get another 10,000 out of them but my son started driving and I want the best under his feet. So... new ones are coming soon, like next week.
Good luck with your decision.
Forgot something.. My parnets live South of Daytona and yes been on the beach at least twice a year and no issues. Only been in mud about 6" no issues there but wouldn't go anny deeper.
Thanks man!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Scorpion pics

nice driveway (Small).jpg

pi_scorpatr_ci2_l.jpg

A couple pics.
Have you been to Discount Tire website (Sponsor) and read the reviews.
I purchased mine from Tire Rack.
The reviews from both sites are really helpful.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hardnoks,

Again, I'm right down the Northway from you. I've had General Grabber HTS for 2 winters now--no issues--especially these last couple of weeks!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'll look into the GENERAL GRABBERS.I also like the Goodyear SILENT Armors.Eric,where are you again?? How much snow you getting tonight??We're in the 2-5 range up here.:killtard:

·
Registered
809 Posts
Always tout how much I love my Hankook Ventus tires. Just did a week in Breckenridge with a snowstorm, a 700 mile drive back in the same, and enjoyed playing in 6 new inches last night. Not bad for a "street" tire. Summers have been just as great. Only been light offroad, but they seemed to perform well there too. Best feature is their silence, though. For my added contact area (275/60 vs 245/65) I have been very impressed. Quieter than the stock Forteras and super silent on dry highway. Treadwear rating has been spot on, and lots of sizes are available for a competitive price. Only wish I made commission.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hardnoks,

I'm in Schenectady. I work in Latham. Looks like we got about 5" more snow last night. Roads were crap, but the Commander performed well as usual.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It's one of those never ending snow months up here!It just kingers and lingers day after day.lol.I need Florida for a while.:)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Does anyone know if 235/80/17 will rub with the rr 2 inch? The tire size calculator shows they are 0.33 taller and -0.4 narrower than the 245/75/17's. I would like the narrower tire since I don't get into the swamp or sand but not sure if the .33 taller will kill the deal. Anyone?

LT235/80R17E1 120R

·
Registered
62 Posts
went with ones in my sig instead

1 - 20 of 20 Posts