Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it's almost time for me to replace my 'may-pops' here shortly. My friends named them this way... b/c these Goodyear Fortera HL's 'may pop' any day. I'm at the 3/32 mark on the treadwear reading.

With that said, I did some browsing around online. It seems tire prices aren't dropping just yet. So ideally, I'm considering this option:

Drop the spare (no miles on this new Fortera HL tire), and buying three new Goodyear Fortera HLs w/ the same tread design. My theory is, how often will you use a spare tire, even though it is indeed a full spare tire w/ the chome clad wheel. At the end, I would have four 'new' tires in use, and a spare tire that's comes from one of the four 'used' tires. This way, I utilize my full value of ALL my tires... Should I ever get a flat, the used tire will be handy, and it would give me peace of mind to get the newer tire repaired/replaced immediately.

Your thoughts?

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
A wise decision I have subscribed to for many years.
Kinda let it slide on my ole Blazer, well hell lets be honest, I DID let it slide, for 12 years no less.
I recently replaced the tires, and decided to look at that old spare.
Guess I shoulda looked 5 years ago cause I have a flawless treaded, casting nibs still showing, DRY ROTTED old tire for a spare.
Sheese, may as well be a mini-donut cause I wouldn't go faster than 50 for about 20 miles on that thing.
So even though I subscribe to the idea, I guess I needed a good screw up to reinforce the decision.

Oh well,............Use your spare!

........Rob

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
In the good old days you would rotate the spare in when you did a rotation, now cars don't rotate as often and people forget the spare. I would check craigs list, I did yesterday and you can get all 4 or 5 tires for around $250 that someone took off for bigger and better tires.

A member gave me his and I am running them now even though I have less that 9,000 miles in my XK cause the stock tires suck offroad and I tore my first set up.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
You can use your old warn out tire as a spare but be prepaired that if you do get a flat on one of your new tires you will need to replace it and take the spare back off the road. I have done this on several jeeps but I never planned on making the spare last more than a couple miles to the tire shop.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's my intention, that the spare be used 'as a spare', allowing me time to get the newer tires repaired/replaced sooner, than having to resort to the spare; kinda lame how other drivers will even cruise faster than 60mph on the freeway w/ them tiny donut tires...that's asking for disaster.

·
Registered
160 Posts
That's my intention, that the spare be used 'as a spare', allowing me time to get the newer tires repaired/replaced sooner, than having to resort to the spare; kinda lame how other drivers will even cruise faster than 60mph on the freeway w/ them tiny donut tires...that's asking for disaster.
You know I always see those people doiong the same thing. Just going so fast on the tiny spare.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
UPDATE!

I finally made the purchase, after reaching the 2/32 markers on the Forteras. I had decided to purchase these Kuhmos. They drove really smoothe and quiet on my way back from Austin to Houston. If you're mainly driving on pavement, I'd highly recommend these....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts