Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, So I got a hole in my tire and went to a major tire chain in town to get it patched up. They had me sign 2 forms that said that I would return to have the tire retorqued at 25 miles and 500 miles. I asked the place what the genesis of this form was and they told me that Chysler/Dodge/Jeep had some issues with the lugs coming loose and wheels falling off.

Has anyone heard of this before? It's got me going out and making sure the lugs are tight every time I park the car.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
No, this is typical for any new wheel as lug nuts compress the metal and thus need retorque. The guy just is a mopar hater imo.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Wait I think there was a problem with it... people envious of mopar wheels were trying to steal em.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
The only problem I had was not using enough thread locker on the studs when I put my spidertrax on. My rear wheels almost fell off going down the road.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have heard if that impact wrenches may not torque the lug nuts enough. I torque all of mine by hand after using the impact to get the nuts "tight."

·
Registered
106 Posts
It's a CYA thing for the shop, but it a good idea to recheck once in a while.

Never let a tire shop hit your lugs with an impact - unless they use a torque stick. I've seen a bunch of bent rims and ruined studs when wheels are not torqued correctly.

You don't want to be stuck on the the side of the road trying to break off a nut that some fool over-torqued anyway.

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
I have owned 4 Chrysler products that I have had to replace the tires due to age & wear , including just recently on my XK. I have never been told what you were told about the lugs. I agree that it sounds like somebody is a mopar hater. Would make me think twice about going back there again. :rocket:Mopar haters....lol

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Are they going to charge you to retorque the lugs? If it's free, I say bring it in and let them do it. No harm in having them checked...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts