Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to buy new tires this week and needed know if anyone is running Goodyear wrangler duratrac? What is the tread wear like so far? What is the steering response like? How are they off road?

Thanks for any feedback

·
Administrator
15,206 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
get some General grabbers. 60,000 mile tread life with badass tread pattern and the optional red letters that I think just look cool. I think those tires are perfect all around. I love my w/ Kevlars but on road and gas mileage is killing me.

·
Registered
275 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
They are a great tire if you don't mind a little noise. I have not played with them in the mud but in the rocks, sand, and snow they are really good. I have about 8K on mine and the look like new almost, I can't see any wear.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I am going to buy new tires this week and needed know if anyone is running Goodyear wrangler duratrac? What is the tread wear like so far? What is the steering response like? How are they off road?

Thanks for any feedback
Are you still running those bald Silent Wranglers from last year?

·
Registered
887 Posts
They are Revos and yes. :banana_hitit:
Yea Revo's that's what I said... I know you were a bit cautious at the Badlands last year because of the lack of tread. Bet they were fun over the winter! Have you considered silent armor's? Tymac likes his - and several others over the years here have given them good reviews here.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am wanting a more aggressive tire. I am trying to find the the right balance between good off road and on road performance. good off road tires generally means tires wear fast and is bad on wet/icy roads. On road tires generally mean less grab in mud. I have been thinking about this for months and I still am not sure what tire to get. I like the KM2s one day and the duratracs the next. I am worried about the duratracs because of their softer rubber, but they are one of my front runners. I will have to pull the trigger soon before snow falls.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Anything Goodyear has always been good to me. Replaced the Forteras with SilentArmor Wranglers that were perfect on road and off. Now the MTR Kevlars cause they are the most badass tire on the market. If you can deal with the noise! I have even hit 100MPH. Professional driver (Emergency Vehicle Operations Certified), closed course (CA-395). It was official police business. My point is the tire is expensive, it is unstoppable, and I love it. But dont know how long it will last.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I have the MT/R 's my Wagoneer and I agree they are LOUD! I would not want them for a DD tire.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I have new and nasty GY Duratracs, but I question how deep (or not deep) the siping (little slices) are --- especially compared to the BFG All Terrain T/A's that I ran on my ZR2... time will tell...

·
Registered
696 Posts
Chuck honestly I like Goodyear better then BFG because the BFGs are on Hummers stock. And I dont like Hummers! I never tried the BFGs but all 3 sets of my Goodyears ( fortera SA, Wrangler SA, and MTR Kevlar) pulled me through a ton of snow. Maybe I will try the Duratracs next. I need to stop upgrading every year and wasting rubber!

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I like it when you research something for a long time and come up with a plan. Then do something different. I just ordered a set of Kelly Safari TRS's today. They get a test fit next Monday and if they fit I will put up pics. Lets hope for the best. Here is a pic of what they look like:

Here is a disco with a set: scroll to see pics Mud pics down the page

·
Registered
195 Posts
Those Safari's look wicked! Let us know how they handle pls.

FWIW I have been running BFG TA KO's for almost 2 years now. Ran them from TX to MI in the winter (i.e. lots of snow) and never one single problem. They have never failed me in rocky terrain and are pretty tough. The only downside I have read is that they don't shed the thick mud as well as the other brands, but I have never had an issue - in fact thinking if upgrading to 285's with the same tire, but really interested in these Kelly's now that I have seen them.

·
Registered
338 Posts
BFG AT KO's are a great on and off road tire. They are quiet and provide incredible traction on road while providing arguably the best traction you can get off-road with a well behaved on-road tire.

So what if it's on a Hummer? Consider that one thing they did right!

I have used the BFG's on previous trucks / SUVs in the past and have never been as happy with anything else. When the stock tires on the Commander wear out the BFG's will be going on without a doubt.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I wanted to get a set of TSR's for my TJ, but they do not make the size I want for it. I still need to fix my slight rub with them on my XK. Hope they work well for you.

·
Registered
126 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Really like the side walls on these. How do they wear? How is road noise? Are the sidewalls stiff enough for running down the highway or do you get float? Sorry, just curious as I will likely be going up in size soon.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts