Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
I just got rid of my originals with 16,000 miles on them...I live in Wisconsin and they were horrible in the snow. I put on a set of Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armors...very nice tire and I got a good deal on them, so I decided to make the move now.

As far as rotating I had mine done every other oil change and had the dealership do it.

Tim

·
Registered
190 Posts
The Goodyear Fortera tires came on mine. This last time was the first time I rotated them myself, and I rotated them as dictated in the owners manual (back shift up, the fronts cross going back). I have rotated mine like Creepy has, every other oil change, which has been around 6000 miles. So far, I'm at 36,000 miles and they still have good tread.

·
Registered
476 Posts
IMO the Goodyear Fortera's that come on the XK suck! :mad: Jeep should be ashamed to have mated such a sorry tire to this great machine! Sure they give the XK a nice soccer mom cushy ride... but having significant wear at only 35K miles??? :confused: - AND - they suck off road -even for the light trail riding I do! I am use to getting at least 80K miles from Michelin and Bridgstone!

I just ordered 5 Bridgestone Duluer Revo's on Friday ... cannot wait to get these on the XK and take her out for a real trail run! :D

As for rotation on the Fortera's - every other oil change - about 7K miles!

Cheers and Happy New Year!

·
Registered
190 Posts
I guess I've been lucky with my Forteras. However, offroad, they are week. We got a gash in the sidewall, not enough to be of too concern on our first trip out. Right now, our spare is a BFG Rugged Trail.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have 24K and and the tread is 75% worn. I was interested to read Creepy Jeeper's comments as I may have to relocate for the ole job to Madison, WI in Feb. 2008 so it sounds like new tires will be in order.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I got to really try out the new Good Year Silent Armors this past weekend...we had a bunch of snow and we had a bunch of traveling to see family. The tires are very quiet on the highway...I couldn't here a difference between them and the Forteras. I also went through deep snow and snow covered country roads....what an awesome tire, great traction and handling.

So they pass the highway and snow test...can't wait till spring to see how they work in mud and dirt.

One other thing....they look great too...nice and meaty and I love the black walls!

Hope this helps anyone that is looking to change out the Forteras.

·
Registered
19 Posts
We have 43K on ours.. probably replace them at 50K have a new spare set of Fortera tires already in the garage, they were take off from a new 07' that I bought off of eBay for $250 shipped for all 4.

·
Registered
717 Posts
23K on mine.....2nd and last winter with the stock Forteras....I'll be looking for something a little more agressive I think

·
Registered
85 Posts
Have 42k on mine with approx. 40% tread left on them. I think I am the only one here that is somewhat impressed with these stock tires. They were what I expected for stock tires. I have been through ice, and snow up to 14 inches and they were great! I have a summer cabin down a 9 mile dirt road that can get washed out and the fortera's took the Commander right through it without a problem. When they will need to be replaced I will put on a more aggressive tread on them maybe with nokian tires which have been great on my truck.

Am I the only one who is somewhat impressed with the tires!???:confused: :confused:

·
Super Moderator
15,103 Posts
hemi lover said:
Am I the only one who is somewhat impressed with the tires!???:confused: :confused:
No, I think the stock Forteras are very good tire. However, where I live we very seldom get ice or snow. Maybe once every ten years or so.

·
Registered
473 Posts
i'm happy with them. not sure what i'll replace them with but if the price is comparable i would buy another set.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts