Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK - I'm jealous with everyone talking about their new Revos and Terra Grapplers. So what good AT tires are available with the stock wheels to replace the Forteras in 245/65-17 or will any other size fit without spacers?

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
I personally am considering the Wrangler SilentArmor tires for the 2007 Commander I plan on ordering next week.

·
Registered
107 Posts
BFG AT ko's. Great tread life, around 60K miles, and they wear properly with tire rotation every 5-8k miles.

Good luck,

Bob

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks rwal - I couldn't remember if the BFG AT Kos were available in the correct size. The only other ones I saw that I might consider (that come in the stock size) would be the Pirelli Scorpion STR - anyone have any opinion on these for an all-around commander tire that would primarily be 3 season but could handle a little light snow if needed on a trip to Colorado?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Just wondering here ....you all want to change tires...how come? Are the stock tires not adequate? Again, just would like to know. Thanks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
So, what is the largest size that will fit at stock height?

·
Registered
396 Posts
One of the main motivations for me to change tires was to get tires with a more durable sidewall, and a more aggressive tread, to handle rocks and mud off road.

Of course, larger tires not only look nice, but they can offer greater sidewall protection, and ease in getting over larger obstacles.

But, after damaging two sidewalls, on our Porsche Cayenne S, in the Mojave Desert, with All Terrain Pirelli Scorpions, I took one look at the delicate stock Fortera Passenger Tires that came on my Commander, and knew that I wanted to rely on something with a more durable sidewall.

Like you, I wanted to keep things simple - just fit some AT tires to the stock vehicle - BUT - it was hard to find good AT tires that would fit the stock height and clear the steering knuckle.

And I liked my factory Jeep wheels too.

However, after research and help from the forum (and peeps like rwall), I did a small lift and adapted the new tires (so I could keep the stock wheels). I like it. It's really not that difficult or expensive, and the ride is very similar to stock. The height, in my opinion is a big improvement, and I still carry my toddler around in a car seat, and my wife can also lift and put him in the child seat. The rear cargo area is a little harder to access, as it was high to begin with, but nothing too unusual. After all, it's just 2-3 inches difference. Big advantage off road. Minor difference on road.

·
Registered
11 Posts
How are the lift/larger tires effecting the fuel economy?

·
Registered
476 Posts
I just took my commander on a camping trip this weekend. Immediatly realized that I definatly need to lift the sucker...although I did not go over rocky terrain I did have to traverse a few deep ruts. The Commander never bottomed out but there were a couple of close calls.

Question: (as I am a newbie in the Jeep world) - Does lifting affect the warrenty in any way?

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Some dealers will try to say that lifting a vehicle at all will void the warranty. This is absolutely not true. Simply taking an action like lifting a vehicle can not void it's warranty. It may void the warranty on the transfer case, etc. but it can not void the entire warranty. The dealer must prove what you did caused the problem.

That said, most people won't lift a vehicle more than 3" or 4" if they are worried about the warranty. Lifting it more than 3" or 4" will cause a considerable change in driveline angles and usually will require a custom drive shaft.

·
Registered
396 Posts
From Wikipedia - for educational purposes only:

Magnussen-Moss Act of 1978 was created for consumer protection from manufacturers voiding warrantys without reasonable cause. Most notable feature of the Magnussen-Moss Act is protections for persons with devices, vehicles, or products protected under Warranty. Warrantors are not allowed to make arbitrary decisions in their own favor to void warranties for changes made to these unless they can specifically prove that the added or modified part caused the failure. Although some states prevent attorneys from advertising as specializing in specific fields, there are some that specialize in this field and can be found on the internet. So if you refill your own printerink cartridge and the power cord fails, or add an aftermarket exhaust to your vehicle and a headlight fails, or a variety of other things consumers are likely to do to something they purchase, a manufacturer cannot simply void your warranty with this as the specified cause.
Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnussen-Moss_Act"

·
Registered
476 Posts
SycoHEMI - Thanks for the post. :)
I definatly love the Jeep and want to lift it...however I also want to wait to have a few thousand problem free miles on it first. I had a major tranny problem at about 800 miles and it still does not seem right with a little over 10K miles now on it. Scheduled to go in on the 13th for more diag to see why the HEMI feels sluggish some times and why I have occasional hard up and down shifts - and to fix the rear washer tube as it currently washes only my driver side dash :eek:

·
Registered
396 Posts
Yikes. That doesn't sound good. I hope you get your problems smoothed out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts