Goodyear Wrangler Dura Trac

Thanks,

Gabe

Attachments

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Wow 22 people have viewed this but not one has responded. Have I touched on a topic that people don't like to talk about? I'm torn between the Goodyear Wrangler MT/R and the Goodyear Wrangler Dura Trac. I've had the BFG All terrains before and they were always good tires but I just thought it might be nice to try something new. I'm just looking for advice.

Gabe

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Hi Gabe,

I bought and like my Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armors. Excellent winter traction and fairly quiet too. Probably not as good in gooyey mud as MT's but I'll find out this weekend. I know a lot guys like their BFG's.

Edit: I had the BFG AT's on my Ram 2500 4wd pick up and liked them but I didn't do any off-roading other than a little horse trailer pulling around on grass and a little mud.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I probably won't be much help but I'm in the same boat. I'm looking at a lot of the same tires you have listed and I think I've narrowed my choice down to the new Goodyear MTR with Kevlar. I've had the BFG AT's and the original MT and my CJ's and loved them. I also just wanted to try something different so I turned to the new MTR from Goodyear. I've got 3 buddies that have the old MTR on their chevys and jeeps and they all like the way they perform so I'm hoping the new tire will have the same outcome...plus it looks pretty tought!

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
I think the Duratracs LOOK like a good all 'round tire tread, but when I get new tires the will be the same as I have now.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I would go with the dura trac if I had the money

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I am currently running the Goodyear MT/R with Kevlar and they are by far the best all around tire I have ever run.
- They are quiet on the road (slightly louder then stock tires)
- Have great road manners
- Perform amazing in the rain (both stopping and accelerating)
- Clear mud extreemly well do to large voids between lugs
- Great on the sand (air down)
- Great when aired down due to kevlar reinforced side walls

I can keep going on if you want me to. They only bad thing about them is the price. But you get what you pay for when you buy a mud tire.

I have ran both the BF Goodrich All Terrain and Mud Terrain and they were great tires too but dont compare to the Goodyear MT/R with Kevlar. The All Terrains are terrible in the mud and just become slicks.

If you dont plan on doing any hardcore off roading I would go with the Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac.

Just my .02

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
My Mom's Ram 2500 has the BFG Rugged Trail All Terrains and I like them. When it comes time to replace the Forteras, I will go with Cooper Discoverer ATRs. I don't much care for Goodyears.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I agree with wmjacobsjr I have a set of the Discoverer ATRs in the garage that came off my Dodge truck. GREAT tires! The dealer said that they would fit the XK. But alas, they are too big :-(

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
I am currently running the Goodyear MT/R with Kevlar and they are by far the best all around tire I have ever run.
- They are quiet on the road (slightly louder then stock tires)
- Have great road manners
- Perform amazing in the rain (both stopping and accelerating)
- Clear mud extreemly well do to large voids between lugs
- Great on the sand (air down)
- Great when aired down due to kevlar reinforced side walls

I can keep going on if you want me to. They only bad thing about them is the price. But you get what you pay for when you buy a mud tire.

I have ran both the BF Goodrich All Terrain and Mud Terrain and they were great tires too but dont compare to the Goodyear MT/R with Kevlar. The All Terrains are terrible in the mud and just become slicks.

If you dont plan on doing any hardcore off roading I would go with the Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac.

Just my .02
What's the life expectancy on those?

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
My vote is for the BF Goodrich All Terrain's

·
Registered
29 Posts
I had the BFG AT's and the Goodyear SA's on my last Expedition. 65K on the BFG's and just over 50K on the SA's. The SA's were much quieter and more comfortable. I'll probably put the SA's on my XK at the end of the summer.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
What's the life expectancy on those?
Honestly Im not sure. I've had them for approx. 3,000 miles now and they show no sign of wear.

Obviously they wont last nearly as long as an All Terrain but thats tipical for a Mud tire. I'm going to rotate them every 2,000 miles so they wear evenly and last as long as possible.

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
I had the Coopers on my 07 XK and they were great in the snow. Never got the chance to take them off-road though. Well not intentionally anyway....lol

·
Registered
391 Posts
I have been looking for the BFG mud terrain but I still have about 75% thread on my Forteras. I just bought a 22 wheels for summer so the forteras will be around for a while. I am thinking of selling the forteras but I don't know if somebody would buy it for a nice price.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I have one other choice for you. I put Firestone Destination A/T's on mine. Very little road noise and excellent all weather traction.

I was able to maintain 45mph on the highway in the last ice storm we had. The Commander never flinched once.

They are a nice aggressive looking tire with deep treads. I feel way better with those than what it came with new.

·
Registered
953 Posts
If you're driving mostly on pavement and only occasional off road, I wouldn't bother with any mud tire. Yes, they look AWESOME :), but for the tire wear and noise I wouldn't bother.

I have the Wrangler Silent Armors with about 50,000 miles on them and am very satisfied. They will still last me another 20,000 miles or-so. Great road manners, others here have off-roaded them, great in snow and ice, and longevity. I'll probably get another set when the time comes.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
If you're driving mostly on pavement and only occasional off road, I wouldn't bother with any mud tire. Yes, they look AWESOME :), but for the tire wear and noise I wouldn't bother.

I have the Wrangler Silent Armors with about 50,000 miles on them and am very satisfied. They will still last me another 20,000 miles or-so. Great road manners, others here have off-roaded them, great in snow and ice, and longevity. I'll probably get another set when the time comes.
Not all mud tires are loud. Mine arn't.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts