Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i just put the 20" GC SRT8 wheels on my commander....i got them from factory reproductions and they came mounted and balanced with new tire pressure sensors already installed. when i bolted the wheels on everything was fine, no tpms light, and i drove it for a day with no problems....then while admiring the wheels i noticed that the tires looked a little low on air, and when i put the gauge on them it read about 32 psi.....the new tires have the same pressure rating as the stock ones (max 44 psi), so i inflated them to about 40 psi and as soon as i did this the tpms light came on....it will blink for about a minute then stay on steady. the owners manual says this blinking then steady illumination indicates a malfunction with the TPMS.....so i took the pressure down to about 38 psi but the light still comes on. does anybody know what the problem may be? what is the factory setting for the TPMS alert? or what pressure should i be running the tires at? the light didnt come on until i put more air in the tires but i put in the same amount of air that the stock tires had in them...

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
In the doorjamb, the sticker with the tire info says 35 psi. Thats what I keep mine at and on the cold winter mornings if one is just a little low, it will trip the light. Not sure about too much air though.

·
Super Moderator
15,109 Posts
They probably have sensors that don't match the ones for the Commander. No, they are not all the same.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Like stated above, drop them down to 35 psi and see if the light goes off. Just because the tire say max psi is 44 doesnt mean the tpms will like that much psi in the tire.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
See if the model number of the sensor is on your receipt, My guess is that Jeep5253 is correct and the sensors installed belong on a different model year Commander.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I run 44psi with the stock TPMS sensors and have no issues. I think the only recourse you might have is take it in and have the sensors checked or swap the sensors from your stock rims.

Did your TPMS light go on at all when you mounted the new rims and then go out (learning mode)? Mine will trip on every tire rotation until it learns which sensor is at which corner.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the light didnt go on at all until i put more air in the tires....i think its possible that it is not the correct sensor because the application listed on their website was for "2006-2008 commander" and i have read that the sensors are different for various years...i will try to bring the pressure down and see what happens....thanks everyone

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I run 44psi with the stock TPMS sensors and have no issues. I think the only recourse you might have is take it in and have the sensors checked or swap the sensors from your stock rims.

Did your TPMS light go on at all when you mounted the new rims and then go out (learning mode)? Mine will trip on every tire rotation until it learns which sensor is at which corner.
Is there a reason why you run 44 psi in you tires and not the recommended psi? Also he mentioned that the TPMS light didnt come on until he brought the tires up to 40 psi. Also I have never heard of the TPMS trip on tire rotations. I rotate my tires every 2,000 miles and have had three different size tires on my jeep with no problems what so ever with the TPMS.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Is there a reason why you run 44 psi in you tires and not the recommended psi? Also he mentioned that the TPMS light didnt come on until he brought the tires up to 40 psi. Also I have never heard of the TPMS trip on tire rotations. I rotate my tires every 2,000 miles and have had three different size tires on my jeep with no problems what so ever with the TPMS.

The 44psi is from tire tread temp measurements with the new tires- 37psi with the stock.

It's an old autocross thing that I've been doing for quite a few years. Drive hard then stop and take tread temps accross the width of the tread with an infrared pyrometer. Colder in the center increase pressure, warmer in the center-reduce the pressure. It makes sure the contact patch is maximized and load is distrubted evenly accross the tread. With most lifted vehicles, you'll see the outer temps a little higher than inners because of the change in camber. Lowered vehicles are generally the opposite, but a smooth gradiant is what you're looking for.

You gain two things doing this:
1- even tire wear (longer tread life)
2- maximum on-road traction.

Keep in mind that the recommended psi takes many factors in to play from mileage, to ride comfort, to load capability. I don't know if the "idiot light" threshold is different from vehicle to vehicle, but mine doesn't give me a high light until I hit about 52psi.

My TPMS light goes on every time I rotate my tires, but turns off after about 5 min of driving. The system works fine and the guys at Discount said this was normal too when I asked about it the first time it happened.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
My TPMS light goes on every time I rotate my tires, but turns off after about 5 min of driving. The system works fine and the guys at Discount said this was normal too when I asked about it the first time it happened.

Yes that's just the computer adjusting for the new locations of the TPS's

·
Registered
192 Posts
Not to hyjack, but in the police academy we had a rep from Michelin come in on one of the driving days and talk about tire pressure. To make a long story short, he said for best performance and gas mileage, run your tires 4 psi over max tire pressure. I've been running mine at 48psi ever since. No uneven tire wear, no computer issues, and my mileage improved immediately. He asked everybody how high they could fill the tire before it popped. Well everyone guessed too low and the final number was over 100psi. He said at a high speed (100mph)driving class they had, they filled the tires to 50psi and ran the course all day without any problems or issues. Just my two cents for those worried about a little extra tire pressure.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Random observation. When I picked up my Commander the dealership filled the tires and the TPMS showed 44 psi all around. I just figured the service porter didn't know how to read the information on the door sticker. But 44 psi in this thread and 44 psi from the dealership seems more than a bit coincidental.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Please note that with the stock tires, 37psi is what I came up with. I'd be a little worried about filling a tire to 54psi cold (50 is the max listed on my tire). Keep in mind that that is cold pressure. I've seen tires gain up to 16% psi after driving @ high speed/load. That means I could have around 62.5psi in the tires after highway driving... just a bit too much for me. My old SCCA race cars ran anywhere between 32 and 21psi cold depending on setup.

Back to the origional issue- 08RME did you get everything figured out? If so, what was it?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Hey, don't shoot the messenger, I'm just passing on what I was told. I don't know enough about it personally to get into any kind of debate. I just took this professional at his word and passed it along. I would say, that common sense might dictate to heat your tires up before filling. He didn't say fill em up cold to 4 psi over max, then heat em up and run them at 8 or 10 over. He said run them at 4 over. If your tire heats up and the pressure goes up, back it off to 4 over. At least that's what I took away from it, to run them "operating" at 4 over, not cold in your garage. Not trying to stir. Take care all.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Sorry, wasn't trying to shoot at ya:)

I'd trust a tire company rep any day over an old weekend racer (me). I mis-understood the procedure (running/hot over cold). Man that still seems like a heck of a lot of pressure. Were these Crown-Vic's with runflats?

anybody heard from 08RME?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
sorry guys ive been working long hours the past few days but UPDATE.....after 3 days of phone calls back and forth to the salesman i got the wheels and tires from he swore up and down that they were the right sensors and that it was pretty much impossible for them to be the incorrect ones....but he went and contacted the manufacturer of the sensors and after a little research it turns out there was an error in the application guide and the sensors they gave me were the wrong ones. so they refunded me my money and my local tire shop is gonna install a new set of OEM Jeep sensors early next week....i will post the outcome as soon as its done....thanks everyone for the replies

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
That is great news, glad it worked out for you!

·
Registered
192 Posts
BonB, these were Crown Vic's, but no run flats, he was talking about regular ole tires. I thought the same thing when he said it, wow that sounds a little high. However, like I said, I've been running this with no problems at all and no uneven wear. Once again, just food for thought.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
BonB, these were Crown Vic's, but no run flats, he was talking about regular ole tires. I thought the same thing when he said it, wow that sounds a little high. However, like I said, I've been running this with no problems at all and no uneven wear. Once again, just food for thought.
They used to promte that in the70's a lot for fule milage .. to run the highest air presure you can without uneven tread wear.

My only concern would be loss of traction at high speed.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts