Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mine comes on and goes off quite regularly. Im thinking it may be from uneven wheel speed sensors resistance. I check the pressures and they are dead nuts even across all four.

Anyone have this issue and figure it out?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
655 Posts
Actually no. I checked it last year by pushing on it to make sure it had air and it was hard.
How can the computer know if the spare is low?
Yes the spare must have 30 pounds or more or it will set the tire pressure warning.
It's magic.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That would mean I have a Bluetooth sensor in my rim. Or something able to communicate wirelessly. I don't think my basic 6 cylinder has that.

·
Registered
480 Posts
That would mean I have a Bluetooth sensor in my rim. Or something able to communicate wirelessly. I don't think my basic 6 cylinder has that.
Tire pressure monitoring is federally mandated on cars now, and has been a standard feature for years. Your Commander is equipped with it, and can monitor all four tires, as well as the spare. Premium models came with individual tire pressure monitoring with readouts, but I believe base models only notify when a tire is low.

·
Registered
356 Posts
why is there no reading for the spare on models that read individual wheels? mine read correct pressures but they are not in the correct location. i have rotated them twice now and the locations do not update. i have never seen the spare pressure even though i check it and is ok.

·
Registered
480 Posts
why is there no reading for the spare on models that read individual wheels? mine read correct pressures but they are not in the correct location. i have rotated them twice now and the locations do not update. i have never seen the spare pressure even though i check it and is ok.
Unfortunately, Chrysler didn't add the ability to see the pressure of the spare. When it gets low, the system will display a spare tire low message, but that's all.

As far as rotating and tire locations not updating, as far as I know there's no fix for that problem. The system is supposed to automatically detect each tire's location by using a process of elimination, but I've found the system to be very buggy.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tire pressure monitoring is federally mandated on cars now, and has been a standard feature for years. Your Commander is equipped with it, and can monitor all four tires, as well as the spare. Premium models came with individual tire pressure monitoring with readouts, but I believe base models only notify when a tire is low.
Good to know. Thank you. Off to check my spare. : )

·
Super Moderator
5,846 Posts
Got rid of mine a long time ago with the stock rims - the little yellow light does not bother me at all.

No state inspections in Florida...… :)

·
Registered
480 Posts
Got rid of mine a long time ago with the stock rims - the little yellow light does not bother me at all.

No state inspections in Florida...… :)
You have the base system then? I have the premium system and every few minutes a warning to repair the TPMS system takes over my EVIC. I've still not found a way to disable it.

·
Super Moderator
5,846 Posts
You have the base system then? I have the premium system and every few minutes a warning to repair the TPMS system takes over my EVIC. I've still not found a way to disable it.
That's correct I only have the base system because my Commander is technically a Sport.

Yours sounds like a real pain.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My spare was flat. I filled it and it held air. double checked all tires. All sitting on 35 lbs exactly. Light came on again and again. I thought it may need a few days to clear. But it hasn't? Do I need to clear the brain again or do I have a bad sensor? If I have a bad sensor how can I find out which one has failed. Tires are fairly new. Hat to have to dismount one or more chasing sensors.

Thanks.

·
Registered
480 Posts
My spare was flat. I filled it and it held air. double checked all tires. All sitting on 35 lbs exactly. Light came on again and again. I thought it may need a few days to clear. But it hasn't? Do I need to clear the brain again or do I have a bad sensor? If I have a bad sensor how can I find out which one has failed. Tires are fairly new. Hat to have to dismount one or more chasing sensors.

Thanks.
If the light is continuing to come on, you have a fault in the system somewhere. Unfortunately, I don't know of any way to diagnose the system other than to take it to a dealer and have them scan for codes. I haven't found any scanners that can read TPMS problems.

·
Super Moderator
5,846 Posts
If the light is continuing to come on, you have a fault in the system somewhere. Unfortunately, I don't know of any way to diagnose the system other than to take it to a dealer and have them scan for codes. I haven't found any scanners that can read TPMS problems.
I have not seen a scanner yet they can do ANYTHING related to the TPM sensors on Commanders.

Seems that TPMS functions are locked down pretty tightly by the factory.

There were a lot of rumors flying around when the Superchips F5 3874 Flashpaq first came out, that it could adjust and even shut down TPMS settings & functions but I disproved that pretty quickly when I received my F5 3874 Flashpaq - it does not do ANYTHING at all related to the TPMS settings.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I have not seen a scanner yet they can do ANYTHING related to the TPM sensors on Commanders.

Seems that TPMS functions are locked down pretty tightly by the factory.

There were a lot of rumors flying around when the Superchips F5 3874 Flashpaq first came out, that it could adjust and even shut down TPMS settings & functions but I disproved that pretty quickly when I received my F5 3874 Flashpaq - it does not do ANYTHING at all related to the TPMS settings.
I've attempted to disable TPMS with my Flashpaq 3875 as well, with no success. Others have been able to do it, but it seems to be a very unreliable procedure.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It only flashes for about a minute on start up and very rarely when driving. I can live with that until I find a way to fix it myself. I will never go to the dealer. Ever. I would sell it if it first. I wonder if the is a way to test each sensor if in hand or with tire off.

If not I will try and disable light. I never had this system before and it is not something I need or care about. I can tell when a tire is low when driving and I have always done a visual of all tires before I drive.... every time.

A very long time I was running really low profile tires on a mini truck and you could not visually tell if one was flat. It came apart on the freeway and tore my fuel spout and fender well up. So I no longer run that low a profile and always check my tires.

With the tall profile of the Jeeps tires it will be obvious when seen or when driving.

·
Super Moderator
5,846 Posts
I've attempted to disable TPMS with my Flashpaq 3875 as well, with no success. Others have been able to do it, but it seems to be a very unreliable procedure.
This is my write up on the subject from a while back:

According to the manual (pictured below) the TPM sensor settings are supposed to be in the "Tire Pressure" sub-menu under "Quick Options". The manual goes on to say that "The availability of the following features depends on the year & model of your Jeep".

Now my F5 is basically brand new - received it a couple of weeks ago and I just updated it again yesterday and I don't even have a tire pressure sub-menu under Quick Options. These are the only options I have available for my 2008 Commander under "Quick Options" - see the below photo:

The only conclusion I can come to, is that F5 (3874) Flashpaq does not give you access to the Tire Pressure sub-menu, which means you have no access to any TPM sensor settings on Jeep Commanders.

Now I have re-programmed my engine with the 93 Octane performance tune (which I'm quite happy with);
I've also cleared all the old Diagnostic Trouble Codes that were stored and I've successfully adjusted my speedometer by programming in my larger tire size, so it is a very useful tool.

·
Registered
480 Posts
It only flashes for about a minute on start up and very rarely when driving. I can live with that until I find a way to fix it myself. I will never go to the dealer. Ever. I would sell it if it first. I wonder if the is a way to test each sensor if in hand or with tire off.

If not I will try and disable light. I never had this system before and it is not something I need or care about. I can tell when a tire is low when driving and I have always done a visual of all tires before I drive.... every time.

A very long time I was running really low profile tires on a mini truck and you could not visually tell if one was flat. It came apart on the freeway and tore my fuel spout and fender well up. So I no longer run that low a profile and always check my tires.

With the tall profile of the Jeeps tires it will be obvious when seen or when driving.
You should be able to just remove the LED from the gauge cluster, if you want to completely disable it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts