Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Guys I may have found a way to upgrade my tires without really spending any funds that our family did not budget for this year. My wife's Ford Escape needs new tires and we have planned on a purchase since spring. NOTE: The tread actually can make it until spring next year. Tread easily passes the penny test and two of the tires almost passes the quarter test. Anyway I have done the research and have found a set of cheap 17" Mustang Bullit rims locally. I can take the XK's 245/65's and put them on these rims on here Escape. I have checked over on www.escape-central.com and it seems this is a good fit with no rubbing. I did find a thread that concerned me though... I need an expert to confirm or deny this persons findings.
I bought some Goodyear Fortera' at 245/70/16 no issues at all with rubbing. I just find the handling ain't the same. I noticed that about a 1/2" on both inner and outter sides of tire tread often are not making contact with road. I tried reducing air pressure all the way down to 30psi and still no change. I recently switched back over to my winter tires @ 235/70/16 and handling is pefect and tire makes full contact. When it comes time to purchase new tires again, I'll go back to 235's.
Has anyone else ran into this issue? I am concerned mostly about safety! I do not want my wife to drive this car and have issue with control of the vehicle because of the larger tires not making full contact with the ground! This really does not make any sense - sounds like his tires are over inflated...

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is exactly what the boys over on escape-central mentioned. Thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts