Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a tire that has some badass looking tread on it, but is also not too expensive and still has a smooth ride quality. I won't be doing much (if any) off roading. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
696 Posts
Goodyear Duratracs arent cheap but look awesome and have the best on road characteristics of an aggressive tire.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
My MT/R's with Kevlar are great on the road, great when its wet out and amazing in the snow. Off road they are better than any tire I've ever ran or any tire any of my friends or brothers have used on their rigs. Hence why I'm on my third set on my XK.

I live just outside of Buffalo NY and we get some reall crappy weather out here too!

·
Registered
696 Posts
Damn I miss those tires. Duratracs are doing awesome though. I like how we both mentioned tires well over $200 each when he wanted something inexpensive

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
The tires he wants don't exist. He needs to decide which 2 of the 3 things he listed are important....

If price is the least of concerns, then depending on size there are quite a few aggressive looking tires with great road manners (Xteme AT's, Duratracs, ATZs, etc). But if he wants cheap, then he's going to have to give up looks and get an A/T (Hankook Dynapro, Gabber AT2, etc), or give up road manners and get a cheaper M/T.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I didn't give up road manners with my MT/R's.

.and when you say expensive, what do you classify as expensive?

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Have you thought about the Goodyear Wrangler silent armor tires. Heard a lot of good things about them. They are just over $200 a tire.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I have 265/70/17 duratracs load E and I love em'. They have a pretty aggressive tread but still act well on the road. I would definitly look at these or the MTR's with Kevlar.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I guess it would be good to mention I'm looking at 265/70/17, not the standard size. Sorry...
Yeah the Silent Armors in a 265/70 run just over $200 a tire.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am looking for a tire that has aggressive mud terrain look, but good ride for mostly road travel. Any thoughts on BFG mud terrain vs. all terrain? Difference in ride? Will off road some, not a lot. 265 70 17. Gonna install 2" RC lift.

·
Super Moderator
15,109 Posts
I am looking for a tire that has aggressive mud terrain look, but good ride for mostly road travel. Any thoughts on BFG mud terrain vs. all terrain? Difference in ride? Will off road some, not a lot. 265 70 17. Gonna install 2" RC lift.
Any tire with an "aggressive mud terrain look" is not going to be a good tire for "mostly road travel." Especially the BFG MT. An all terrain tire would be better.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I had the BFGs ATs before my MTRs and hated them.. Actually everyone I know who had them said the samething

·
Registered
707 Posts
For tires mainly used on pavement, I recommend Michelin LTS M/S2 or M/S.

Depending on conditions, you can easily get 60K or more out of these tires.

I currently have at least 40,000 miles on mine and still have 8/12'' on all four.

Buy tires for performance not looks.

·
Super Moderator
15,109 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Any tire with an "aggressive mud terrain look" is not going to be a good tire for "mostly road travel." Especially the BFG MT. An all terrain tire would be better.
Agreed..

I have silent armor's and they look good and perform even better.. Duratracs would be my choice if I was driving around in the woods.. Sounds like the OP wants to look at knobs sticking out the sides of the tires but doesn't want the noise and poor handling that goes along with it on the highway were he will be 99.9% of the time..

·
Registered
471 Posts
I just picked up moto master at2's. they are a strictly all terrain tire with emphasis on dirt. There was another tire, might have been the AT that was still all terrain but with added road handling features mine didn't have. They were 140ish each Canadian on special at Canadian tire. Even the 'AT' looked pretty aggressive.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

1 - 18 of 18 Posts