Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what people on here would recommend for replacement tires for my 06?

I want to stay close to the stock size and use the stock rims.

Looking for a tire good in the snow and rain.

My driving is 60% in town, 25% highway and 15% mud and gravel roads.

Suggestions

Thanks

·
Registered
452 Posts
I'm sure this has been discussed numerously. Although, I too am on the same boat. I mentioned to a recent posting, that I'm considering buying the same OEM Goodyear Fortera HL's since most of my driving is done on-terrain. We have about bit over 24K miles, and the treadwear markers are showing up pretty close already. The tires have run great... but they're beginning to be a bit slick now-a-days. As a solution, since I never used the spare tire, I'm willing to shell out the money for three Goodyear tires to replace, and use the best shape 'current tire' as my spare. It's an option to consider, if cost is a concern. If not, I was going to consider the following:

Yokohama Geolanders
Firestone Destination LE
Bridgestone Dueler Alenza's

Good luck and let us know what you decided on.

·
Registered
473 Posts
we'll be buying new ones soon also so i'll be following this post. i want to keep the same size and don't care about the aggresiveness but want it to go good in the rain and snow. my wife drives it and it never goes off-road or in mud.
sorry if i hijacked your thread.:ugh2:

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
I've been having my Goodyear Wrangle Silent Armors since March of this year and no complaints here in all terrain and all weather.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I have only good things to say about the GOODYEAR silent armor....on and off road...i have been also very impressed as to how they handle on the highway in heavy rains...they seem to handle well and dont hydroplane.

here is a recent thread that tells shows you my opinion........

http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6578

·
Registered
266 Posts
From my reading, I will be looking for the Fortera SL's. They rate the best for wet traction and dry. I also like the look of the stock WL but I do 500 miles a weekon pavement in BC which is the same weather as Seattle, wet, rainy and showers.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have gotten a bunch of price quotes and info over the past few days since I've been looking for new meats also. As soon as I get home from work I will post it. I think I'm going to go with Cooper Discoverer ATR at 245/65/17. They seem like a decent tire and they are affordable.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I've been having my Goodyear Wrangle Silent Armors since March of this year and no complaints here in all terrain and all weather.

+1 for the Wrangler Silent Armors :bigthumb:

·
Registered
75 Posts
I used to have BFG All terrains on my old Xterra and loved them even though I also did mostly city driving but when you needem they are the best all around tires to get you going

·
Registered
807 Posts
ped4599, Do you have the Wrangler or Fortera Silent Armors??
WRANGLER silent armors.....adn they are stock sized.....245-65-17, so nothing has changed in respect to the computer......
I can just actually get around now when i leave the road.......

and if you are looking at WET pavement.....these tires handle well....they also have the best snow/ice rating of all the wrangler tires......time will tell if i get to try them out for my self inthe snow.....

·
Registered
444 Posts
I keep hearing great things about the Bridgestone A/T EVOS. I have not tried them, just thought I would throw that out there as an option.

·
Registered
953 Posts
lekmedm, you're in Annandale? I work there. Small World. Did you get the Wranglers and where?
Yeah, it's neat the way you can meet people through these boards and find out who lives nearby and shares the same interests. Are you local or just commute in?

I've had these tires for 2 years now, and they're still running great. I think I bought them from TireRack.com. I took them to Bill's Garage in Clinton on the corner of Halstead and Old Rt 22. He only charges $10 per wheel for everything. For the winter months I have a second set of wheels with Nokians mounted on them. They are just incredible winter tires with excellent traction on ice and the slushies, not just snow. The Silent Armors are great in the snow as well (they have the snowflake rating on the sidewall), but I haven't fully tried them out since I have dedicated winters.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts