Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used search and i couldn't find anything on this , does anyone know if the spare tire well under the car will fit a spare tire size 265/70/17 if not whats the biggest size it will fit ???

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
I don't recall the size, but it woul depend on whether or not you have the hitch.
I used search and i couldn't find anything on this , does anyone know if the spare tire well under the car will fit a spare tire size 265/70/17 if not whats the biggest size it will fit ???

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
From what I've read here, you have 32" of room. Your size may fit but it will be very tight. I've even read where guys are putting the larger tires in there, but they deflate them so they will fit. Obviously, you will need a compressor if you do this.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
With a trailer hitch, you really cant fit anything larger then stock without deflating the tires. Since you dont have a hitch, the largest tire would probablly be a 245/70R17 without deflating it.

·
2,248 Posts
In my opinion, there is a better use for the space than storing your spare tire. I am sure that you might have seen this before, but you can install a 30 gallon second gas tank in that space and mount your spare on the rear bumper.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I had a 265/70/17 AT under there for a year and a half, and now have a 255/75/17 MT tucked in there - it's tight, but fits, and doesn't need to be deflated, or at least mine didn't...I would agree with Huey, I'd rather have my spare on the rear bumper as well, but also wish for a lot of things that I can't have :) at least not right now!

·
Registered
127 Posts
I fit a 265/70-17 with my hitch. Tire had to be deflated, as I have a small compressor when needed. Without a hitch, should fit with no issues.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I had a 265/70/17 AT under there for a year and a half, and now have a 255/75/17 MT tucked in there - it's tight, but fits, and doesn't need to be deflated, or at least mine didn't...I would agree with Huey, I'd rather have my spare on the rear bumper as well, but also wish for a lot of things that I can't have :) at least not right now!
You must've really wedged that 255/75r17 in there. A spare on the rear bumper and extra gas tank would be great! :banana_hitit:

Not all of us can afford to roll like Huey unforunately :bowdown:

·
Registered
954 Posts
Hey guys, I ran into a snag installing my tires and lift kit. Turns out that my 255/70R17 tire does not fit in the spare tire well. I have a 2008 Limited with a tow hitch. I don't have a problem airing down the spare tire to make it fit but what does that do to the tire in the long run? Will it eventually warp if it's always pressing against the track bar?

·
Registered
954 Posts
I have a 255/70r18 in my spare tire well with a bit of room to spare even.

No hitch.

The hitch can be modded to fit a similar size tire as well.

255/75r17 BFG M/T
Was the 2" square back part of the receiver trimmed to accommodate a larger tire?

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Was the 2" square back part of the receiver trimmed to accommodate a larger tire?
Yes, and the bolts can be trimmed as well.

That picture is Omelet's WK from a few years back. He said it towed like that fine.

He is running 37" trepadors now IIRC on a heavily modified superlift. Those don't fit underneath obviously.

·
Registered
23 Posts
In my opinion, there is a better use for the space than storing your spare tire. I am sure that you might have seen this before, but you can install a 30 gallon second gas tank in that space and mount your spare on the rear bumper.

Did you make that, or is that something that is made and sold?
I really want one.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Great info, just what I was looking for. Had my local Discount Tire shop mount my 255/70X17s today and they couldn't fit the spare. Took it home and sure enough the factory hitch gets in the way. Couldn't have been much room under there even with the stock tires but since the spare was flat when I bought the Jeep, I couldn't tell. Guess I'll have to remove the hitch for now.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts