Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, new member here- wish I had looked for this place a long time ago. 06 4X4, white, installed a chrome grill nothing else yet. After snooping around here I will be starting to add a few things for sure.
My question- am looking at new tires 245/70/17, undecided on brand yet. Have been told going away from the stock size will affect the ABS operation. Is this correct? I know the speedo will be off a litle but not concerned with that.
Would appreciate any info on this.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I can't see a big deal going from stock (245/65/17) to 245/70/17 (basically going from a 29.5" tire to a 30.5" tire). I was thinking about making that size change on my next set of tires (probably some BFG Rugged trails or All terrains).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. Found a link in a post here that shows the difference in dimensions beteween the two sizes. Looks like no big deal and no mention of any effect to the ABS if you stay about a 3% dif. from stock. Am going with the 70's.
Still hope to learn what size increase (if any ) will effect the ABS.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
There's many members running different sizes, and haven't heard one mention effects on the ABS.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Taking this one step further, I've been considering the same thing (245/70/17). Is there any problem with running the stock spare, if needed, with the larger tires? Most likely would only be on it long enough to get someplace to fix the regular tire. Since each wheel can turn at different speeds (when not in 4 low) it doesn't seem that it would be a big deal.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
SupremeCommander said:
Taking this one step further, I've been considering the same thing (245/70/17). Is there any problem with running the stock spare, if needed, with the larger tires? Most likely would only be on it long enough to get someplace to fix the regular tire. Since each wheel can turn at different speeds (when not in 4 low) it doesn't seem that it would be a big deal.
I always wondered the same thing, just never asked. Would be interested to find out also. I purchased an ARB tire repair kit, so hopefully if I do get a flat, I'll be able to fix it myself.

·
Registered
94 Posts
ricoman said:
Thanks for the replies. Found a link in a post here that shows the difference in dimensions beteween the two sizes. Looks like no big deal and no mention of any effect to the ABS if you stay about a 3% dif. from stock. Am going with the 70's.
Still hope to learn what size increase (if any ) will effect the ABS.
I am running 265/70's on 17" AEV's and i have had no lissues at all

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
ricoman said:
Done-new 245/70/17's on the ride yesterday afternoon.
Congrats. What tire did you decide on?

·
Registered
230 Posts
And to answer another question - I can't speak for this Jeep, but you can run different sized circumference tires on the axles without problems for a limited time, but do not leave the smaller tire on there for any long distance due to the uneven tire wear that will be caused on that axle, you will end up ruining both tires on that axle - but other than that, I didn't notice anything funny happening as far as braking.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
actually wimped out-spend most of my time on the road with occasional trips thru sand and mud on job sites so I don't need a real agressive tread. Went with Destination LT- seems they are very good in the wet and we get a good bit of that in FL. Only 100 mi. so far but they feel good, better than the Forteras for sure.

·
Registered
217 Posts
ricoman said:
actually wimped out-spend most of my time on the road with occasional trips thru sand and mud on job sites so I don't need a real agressive tread. Went with Destination LT- seems they are very good in the wet and we get a good bit of that in FL. Only 100 mi. so far but they feel good, better than the Forteras for sure.
Be sure to post pics and your thoughts in the tires & lift sticky in the performance section.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts