Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the largest size of tire one can put on the Commander (without rubbing) with no modifications to the suspension?

·
Registered
31 Posts
You should be able to run a 265/70 17, but don't quote me on that (comes out to be a 32" tire vs 30.5" tire). 17" All Terrain and Mud Terrain tires are a little hard to come by. If you are serious about getting a large size tire you might want to go with a 15" or 16" rim. Then the options in sizes really open up. Otherwise you will have to wait to get larger tires. Sorry.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
There are a couple of tires in that size available from Goodyear:

http://www.goodyeartires.com/goodye...=17&mrktgrp=Light+Truck&image.x=41&image.y=15

As I am just really looking for the stance and not tires for rock crawling (my Cherokee will be my off-roader), I might consider the Fortera SilentArmor or the Wrangler SilentArmor tires.

Do you think a P255/75R17 would work? It gives up a little bit of the P265/70 R17's width for a little bit more diameter.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jangy said:
265/70/17 Goodyear MT/R
I love the MT/R's but as I said, I will not be looking to use the Commander for rock-crawling. I just want to gain a little bit in ride height while still maintaining the reportedly quiet ride. I have decided against putting a lift kit on my future Commander because I do not want to negatively affect any of the complicated roll mitigation and vehicle stability systems or the drivetrain.

The Fortera TripleTred tires have about the same off-road traction rating as my Cherokee's current Wrangler HPs. I have found that other than in really wet off-road conditions they have done a respectable job.

After purchasing the Commander, I plan to put a lift (probably 3.5") on my Cherokee.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That is something to take into account. I wonder how difficult it would be for the dealer to change settings on the computer.

·
Registered
124 Posts
You won't be able to change the outer diameter enough for the computer to care, so I would not be looking to adjust it. You may get some difference in milage and speed, but it is minimal. You are not going from 30s to 34s here. Also, people should be more realistic with actual tire sizes as brands and tread patterns affect the diameter. A 265/70/17 is NOT a 32". It is actually only about a half inch larger in TOTAL diameter than the 245/65/17. I do not care about calculations. I am speaking reality. I have had countless 245s and 265s on my GCs over the years and clearance has always been the issue, so I do know how snug they fit.
By the way, the new forteras are rated nicely. They do not have the rock crawl grip, but they are tough and quiet.
Let's see some pics of larger tires on these things. I am getting the goodyears this week, so I will post.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The P265/70R17 Fortera TripleTred's are 31.7" x 10.7"

The P255/75R17 Fortera SilentArmor's are 32.1" x 10.0"

·
Registered
161 Posts
I just ordered, and will have Monday, 255/65R17 Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo's... Supposed to be a new size. I have Revo's on my Liberty Renegade and they preform beyond my expectations...:)

·
Registered
12 Posts
The Dueler Revos are nice. I have a set on my XJ with 50k miles and at least 30k left on the tread. The work nicely in all but major mud. Cool tread pattern too!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Got them Monday... Look Great ... Tire store balanced them all on inside, have slight vibration, plan to have them balanced on both sides.:) :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Will 15 or 16 in wheels fit on the Commander? What is the bolt pattern and backspacing specs for the stock Commander wheels?

·
Registered
124 Posts
You may have problems with the brakes fitting under the 15" or 16" ones. Other than that, i would also consider it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts