Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Jeep Commander Overland
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting ready to put a 3 inch suspension lift and 1.5 in wheel spacers o my '09 Outlander. What would be the best recommendation for tire size to give it an aggressive look on the dunes, but still practical for road driving?

·
Registered
2006 Limited 5.7 QDll 146k miles
238 Posts
I am getting ready to put a 3 inch suspension lift and 1.5 in wheel spacers o my '09 Outlander. What would be the best recommendation for tire size to give it an aggressive look on the dunes, but still practical for road driving?

Outlander????

·
Administrator
8,400 Posts
Are you keeping the stock rims?

Back spacing & offset of your rims, play a big part in determining your tire size limitations.

·
Administrator
8,400 Posts
I will be keeping the same size rim diameter.
Diameter does not determine back-spacing & offset;

You have an Overland, so, are your stock rims 17 or 18 inches?

Do you have your factory build sheet?

·
Administrator
8,400 Posts
Thank you sir. As always you are a great help.
You'll see a major improvement in your Overland's stance, once you make these modifications with the lift, the spacers and the larger tires;

Then, you'll say to yourself; "Why didn't they come like this from the factory"??

·
Premium Member
Dallas TX
658 Posts
i think you will find its more about the "front to back" clearance vs the height. when you get to wheel lock in either direction you may get some rubbing with the 265's but look up the "pinch weld mod" if you feel crafty! the main rub is on the wheel liner. a lot of youtube videos with different solutions there

·
Administrator
8,400 Posts
i think you will find its more about the "front to back" clearance vs the height. when you get to wheel lock in either direction you may get some rubbing with the 265's but look up the "pinch weld mod" if you feel crafty! the main rub is on the wheel liner. a lot of youtube videos with different solutions there
It all depends on the back spacing & offset of the rims;

If you get a set of 17 x 8 rims (17 x 7.5 is stock) with 0MM offset and 5.5 inches of backspacing, you shouldn't have any rubbing;

Before I upgraded to my current set-up, I used to have custom made Centerline rims (17 x 8) with 0MM offset and 5.5 inches of back-spacing, running the 2 inch Rough Country spacer lift & I had no rubbing at all at full turn, with 2 different sets of 265/70/17's.

·
Registered
2006 Limited, 5.7 Hemi, QD-II
126 Posts
I’m planning on using 1” spacers (netting me 5” of backspacing) with stock wheels and will lift only the front with the lowest setting on the Bilstein 5100 shocks (which should lift the front by 1.25”). Do you think I can use 255/70R17s all around without rubbing? I’m trying to avoid the pinch weld mod (and I don’t see this combination on the tire size sticky). Thanks much.
It all depends on the back spacing & offset of the rims;

If you get a set of 17 x 8 rims (17 x 7.5 is stock) with 0MM offset and 5.5 inches of backspacing, you shouldn't have any rubbing;

Before I upgraded to my current set-up, I used to have custom made Centerline rims (17 x 8) with 0MM offset and 5.5 inches of back-spacing, running the 2 inch Rough Country spacer lift & I had no rubbing at all at full turn, with 2 different sets of 265/70/17's.

·
Registered
2006 Commander Limited 4.7 130,000 miles
39 Posts
I’m planning on using 1” spacers (netting me 5” of backspacing) with stock wheels and will lift only the front with the lowest setting on the Bilstein 5100 shocks (which should lift the front by 1.25”). Do you think I can use 255/70R17s all around without rubbing? I’m trying to avoid the pinch weld mod (and I don’t see this combination on the tire size sticky). Thanks much.
I just put tires on my new 17" JK wheels size, tires 265./65/17 and I have about 1.5" front lift and 1.5" wheel spacers, I got a little bit of rubbing on the passenger side wheel liner and was almost rubbing on the driver's side. These tires are about the same width as the tires you are planning to put on but those tires are about 1/2 " taller than mine. I would expect more rubbing of the liner than I got but the pinch weld mod. gave me plenty of clearance and should give you enough too. The pinch weld mod was not very hard to do with an angle grinder cutting blade, heat gun and 1 self threading screw and washer per side, about 1 hour per side including paint drying time before putting the liner back on.

Reactions: Stircrayzy

·
Registered
2006 Limited, 5.7 Hemi, QD-II
126 Posts
Great information, thanks much.
I just put tires on my new 17" JK wheels size, tires 265./65/17 and I have about 1.5" front lift and 1.5" wheel spacers, I got a little bit of rubbing on the passenger side wheel liner and was almost rubbing on the driver's side. These tires are about the same width as the tires you are planning to put on but those tires are about 1/2 " taller than mine. I would expect more rubbing of the liner than I got but the pinch weld mod. gave me plenty of clearance and should give you enough too. The pinch weld mod was not very hard to do with an angle grinder cutting blade, heat gun and 1 self threading screw and washer per side, about 1 hour per side including paint drying time before putting the liner back on.

·
Registered
2006 Commander Limited 4.7 130,000 miles
39 Posts

·
Administrator
8,400 Posts
@Airwreckc ;

What is the diameter of those 255/70R17s?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts