Jeep Commander Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Limited, 5.7 Hemi, QD-II
126 Posts
Thanks much. The 255/70s were my first choice, but I was also considering the 265/65s, which are a bit wider (10.4" vs the 10" of the 255s) and a bit lower (30.6" vs the 31.1" of the 255s). I am confused about whether the width or the height of the tire is the gating factor. Do you think the 265s would be better or worse than the 255s?

I was also looking at the 245/75 or 245/70s (although I've seen some people say the 245/70s looked small and that the 245/75 might be too tall?). Thanks again.

I think you should be o.k.

It's going to be close though.

·
Administrator
8,400 Posts
Thanks much. The 255/70s were my first choice, but I was also considering the 265/65s, which are a bit wider (10.4" vs the 10" of the 255s) and a bit lower (30.6" vs the 31.1" of the 255s). I am confused about whether the width or the height of the tire is the gating factor. Do you think the 265s would be better or worse than the 255s?

I was also looking at the 245/75 or 245/70s (although I've seen some people say the 245/70s looked small and that the 245/75 might be too tall?). Thanks again.
No problem at all.

·
Registered
2006 Commander Limited 4.7 130,000 miles
39 Posts
No problem at all.
It appears the tire diameter is the biggest factor as the treads on my 265/65/17's are just 1/4" wider than the tires I took off 245/65/17 the pinch weld modification is not too bad at all once you get the plastic rivets out, cutting with angle grinder cutting disc, bending painting pinch weld goes pretty fast. Heating and reforming the liner is not bad when you find a good spot to drill hole into the fender panel that will secure the liner into a snug position. I put almost all of the plastic rivets in while doing the final forming of the liner, it made it much easier.

·
Administrator
8,400 Posts
It appears the tire diameter is the biggest factor as the treads on my 265/65/17's are just 1/4" wider than the tires I took off 245/65/17 the pinch weld modification is not too bad at all once you get the plastic rivets out, cutting with angle grinder cutting disc, bending painting pinch weld goes pretty fast. Heating and reforming the liner is not bad when you find a good spot to drill hole into the fender panel that will secure the liner into a snug position. I put almost all of the plastic rivets in while doing the final forming of the liner, it made it much easier.
Once upon a time, I ran 265/70/17's on 17x8 custom made rims with 0 MM offset & 5 1/2 inches of back spacing;

They were 31.5 inch tires and I had no rubbing whatsoever with the 2 inch RC spacer lift, without doing the pinch-weld mod;

Point being that if you do your homework and get the proper rims, with the correct back-spacing & offset, other modifications like wheel spacers & the pinch-weld mod aren't necessary;

Usually, the guys that are trying to be thrifty, by keeping the factory OEM rims, are typically the ones who run into issues with the tire rubbing on the wheel tubs.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Thanks Big Blue. Great information. I am curious about one thing, though. I ran different wheel combinations through a wheel size, backspace, offset comparison tool. When I entered 0 offset in, it showed 4.5" of backspace for an 8" wheel. Am I missing something?

Once upon a time, I ran 265/70/17's on 17x8 custom made rims with 0 MM offset & 5 1/2 inches of back spacing;

They were 31.5 inch tires and I had no rubbing whatsoever with the 2 inch RC spacer lift, without doing the pinch-weld mod;

Point being that if you do your homework and get the proper rims, with the correct back-spacing & offset, other modifications like wheel spacers & the pinch-weld mod aren't necessary;

Usually, the guys that are trying to be thrifty, by keeping the factory OEM rims, are typically the ones who run into issues with the tire rubbing on the wheel tubs.

·
Administrator
8,400 Posts
Thanks Big Blue. Great information. I am curious about one thing, though. I ran different wheel combinations through a wheel size, backspace, offset comparison tool. When I entered 0 offset in, it showed 4.5" of backspace for an 8" wheel. Am I missing something?
The only answer I have to that is, maybe that comparison tool is not 100% accurate.

I know the information I'm giving you is spot-on, based on a Commander with a 4.7L V-8 engine;

The only other variables I can think of is, the difference in weight, from the different engine options that were available in Commanders, 3.7L V-6 4.7L V-8 & 5.7L V-8 etc. and differences in suspension component combinations, IE stock suspension components, or after-market, upgraded suspension components, could be factors, that have some effect on wheel clearance, or lack thereof.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Thanks again for the insight and your help. Something must be off with the comparison tool, indeed. In any case, the important thing is that it seems likely that a 255/70 or a 265/65 should work without rubbing. It'll be interesting to see how it works out.
The only answer I have to that is, maybe that comparison tool is not 100% accurate.

I know the information I'm giving you is spot-on, based on a Commander with a 4.7L V-8 engine;

The only other variables I can think of is, the difference in weight, from the different engine options that were available in Commanders, 3.7L V-6 4.7L V-8 & 5.7L V-8 etc. and differences in suspension component combinations, IE stock suspension components, or after-market, upgraded suspension components, could be factors, that have some effect on wheel clearance, or lack thereof.

·
Registered
39 Posts

I forgot to mention before there is also the variable of whether the vehicle has rear A/C as mine has, because the passenger side was rubbing because of the A/C lines plastic guides sticking out farther toward the liner that caused rubbing at that point so I needed to trim that plastic a little. Without the rear A/C the clearance would have been the same as the driver's side, close but no rubbing.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I forgot to mention before there is also the variable of whether the vehicle has rear A/C as mine has, because the passenger side was rubbing because of the A/C lines plastic guides sticking out farther toward the liner that caused rubbing at that point so I needed to trim that plastic a little. Without the rear A/C the clearance would have been the same as the driver's side, close but no rubbing.
`I just did the pinch weld mod. because I already had the wheel off to trim the A/C guide and I wanted even more clearance, it just looked too close.

·
Administrator
8,400 Posts
I have the same set-up.

Once I went to the 4 inch Superlift with 33 inch Tires, I had no choice but to do the Pinch-weld mud, along with some trimming of the door sills (Factory Plastic rock-sliders) to have enough clearance.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have the same set-up.

Once I went to the 4 inch Superlift with 33 inch Tires, I had no choice but to do the Pinch-weld mud, along with some trimming of the door sills (Factory Plastic rock-sliders) to have enough clearance.
My last 4X4 was a 1977 Bronco, (last year of the classic style) and the ride of the Commander reminds me a lot of that vehicle. The stock wheels and tires felt a little squirrely when taking bumpy corners so I chose to widen the stance by changing to a little wider wheel, changing the offset and back spacing. Back then I was afraid to use wheel spacers and got my desired ride that way and after I put in a 3" lift I put 33" X 12.50 tires without even having to cut the front fenders, just by researching wheel size, offset and back spacing. I think technology has improved now to the point that I now trust quality made wheel spacers and I like the look of my stock JL wheels on my Commander with the ride of the wider stance than stock.

·
Administrator
8,400 Posts
My last 4X4 was a 1977 Bronco, (last year of the classic style) and the ride of the Commander reminds me a lot of that vehicle. The stock wheels and tires felt a little squirrely when taking bumpy corners so I chose to widen the stance by changing to a little wider wheel, changing the offset and back spacing. Back then I was afraid to use wheel spacers and got my desired ride that way and after I put in a 3" lift I put 33" X 12.50 tires without even having to cut the front fenders, just by researching wheel size, offset and back spacing. I think technology has improved now to the point that I now trust quality made wheel spacers and I like the look of my stock JL wheels on my Commander with the ride of the wider stance than stock.
Yep, I don't use wheel spacers myself, but, Spider-Trax wheel spacers have a very good reputation for their durability.

I know there are quite a few guys here on the forum, that use them & are very pleased with their performance/durability.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Good point. Mine also has the rear AC. However, I'll be running 1" spacers vs. your 1.5" spacers, so I'm wondering if that 1/2" difference might give me a bit more clearance, if I go with the same 265/65 size as you.. Also, I'm curious what specific tires you used?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Good point. Mine also has the rear AC. However, I'll be running 1" spacers vs. your 1.5" spacers, so I'm wondering if that 1/2" difference might give me a bit more clearance, if I go with the same 265/65 size as you.. Also, I'm curious what specific tires you used?
I bought GT Adventuro AT3 I like the tread pattern and the price was right just $124 each through Walmart online. I was surprised that these tires did not give me a larger track the same 8" as my stock 245/65/17 all season tires, the tire width is 10" but tread on ground only 8".

·
Registered
126 Posts
That's good to know--I'll check them out. They are definitely a good price. How is the noise level and ride?
I bought GT Adventuro AT3 I like the tread pattern and the price was right just $124 each through Walmart online. I was surprised that these tires did not give me a larger track the same 8" as my stock 245/65/17 all season tires, the tire width is 10" but tread on ground only 8".

·
Registered
39 Posts
That's good to know--I'll check them out. They are definitely a good price. How is the noise level and ride?
ride is very good, heavy rain the other day and tires cleared the water fine no hydroplaning, noise not bad at all for an A/T tire. Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive parking light
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Car

Reactions: Airwreckc
21 - 36 of 36 Posts