Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to do a lil offroading in the sand dunes in MI this weekend. I was looking over the dune park's webpage for all the necessities and recomendations before we leave. At one point they recommend that you deflate your tires to 10 PSI for better handling/traction/ etc. Will this cause any issues for my rims/tires? Or will i just have a "Low Tire Pressure" light flashing at me? :confused:

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I'm looking to do a lil offroading in the sand dunes in MI this weekend. I was looking over the dune park's webpage for all the necessities and recomendations before we leave. At one point they recommend that you deflate your tires to 10 PSI for better handling/traction/ etc. Will this cause any issues for my rims/tires? Or will i just have a "Low Tire Pressure" light flashing at me? :confused:
I wouldn't recommend running your tires at 10 psi unless you have beadlock wheels which im almost positive you don't have. What brand and size tires are you currently running now and are you lifted?

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I have run them as low as 14psi with no problems BUT I have aftermarket tires. I don't know if running that low is OK for stock.

I have a friend that routinely airs down to 8psi without beadlocks and he has yet to lose a bead. He's been wheeling about 5 years.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I run in the NC sand between 18-22 psi without any problems. I stay aired down all week unless I am going to make a 30+ mile trip on the hard road. 10 seems very low to me but then I do not know the area. Do a search for a tackle shop in that area with a forum and ask the locals.

Make sure you turn off your traction control each time you start the car. And yes you will get the low pressure messages.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
I air down to 20 or 25 with my BFG's and now with the SuperChips I can turn off the tire sensor if I want too but I can live with the little light for the few hours of wheeling.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wouldn't recommend running your tires at 10 psi unless you have beadlock wheels which im almost positive you don't have. What brand and size tires are you currently running now and are you lifted?
No breadlocks, no lift. I'm still running stocker rims and Goodyear Forza (?) tires. The tires have a good deal of tread left (75% at least).

I'm not goin to go too crazy on the dunes, I just want to make sure I can get in and get out. Am I asking too much out of my set up?

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
No breadlocks, no lift. I'm still running stocker rims and Goodyear Forza (?) tires. The tires have a good deal of tread left (75% at least).

I'm not goin to go too crazy on the dunes, I just want to make sure I can get in and get out. Am I asking too much out of my set up?

The commander is a very capable vehicle. If your not doing anything hardcore then you should be fine.

·
Registered
228 Posts
i'd say 20 psi is a good pressure to run. That's what i deflate down to, when i drive in sand, or wash-board dirt roads.

·
Registered
228 Posts
AIR DOWN
Tire pressure brings lots of questions and some reluctance. Lower tire pressure, in summary, is plus three and minus one.

Lower tire pressure gives you a bigger footprint. Mother Nature knows big feet work or why would She give camels and polar bears such giant bottom features? It also gives you the effect of slightly lower gearing due to a decrease in rolling radius. Lastly, it reduces what I�ve named obstacle-rolling resistance. This is the tire�s ability to mold over rather than have to climb up a minor impediment.

The only disadvantage is that lower tire pressure reduces ground clearance. That�s because the 4X�s weight compresses the soft tire. This also means the 4X can bounce easier and further compress the rubber.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
I drive alot on Sand dunes, I usually air-down to about 15 or 18 psi.

10 psi is ok but you might get the tire of the wheel if you do slop sliding.

10 psi can be used for emergency when getting stuck.

Air-down the tires does not damage the rims on sand, but make sure to inflate them immediately when you reach the road.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts