Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I posted this earlier but it got lost during the db corruption.

I have an 06 Commander with the 5.7 HEMI and QuadraDriveII and off-road group. I must say I am very disappointed with the Goodyear Fortera HLs.

We do alot of offroading at Fort Fisher, NC in deep, soft sand. We nearly got stuck out there and I believe it's the tires. They just would not grip. I am looking for a very good all-terrain tire that does very well in the sand and have narrowed it down to these tires:

Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo
Goodyear Wrangler SilentArmor
Nitto Terra Grappler
BF Goodrich All Terrain TA KO

I would be very interested in your opinions on these tires especially when driving on the beach. I have heard that 265/70/17s rub on the Commander? Is this true?

We have aired down before but in reality, we are pretty far way from a service station and when we had our Wrangler Rubicon with Goodyear Wrangler MTRs, we never had to air down. They worked great in the sand.

Thanks

·
Registered
101 Posts
I think any of those tires will work well for what you are doing!

I just bought some Nitto Terra Grapplers today and love the way they look on the XK!

The Fortera HL's wore out on me after only 11,500 miles very disappointed in both Goodyear and Jeep for putting on such a crappy tire!

·
Registered
398 Posts
Scoobydew31 said:
I think any of those tires will work well for what you are doing!

I just bought some Nitto Terra Grapplers today and love the way they look on the XK!

The Fortera HL's wore out on me after only 11,500 miles very disappointed in both Goodyear and Jeep for putting on such a crappy tire!

That is really odd..mine have 15K and it looks like I will get at least another 30K out of them

·
Registered
588 Posts
NO AT tire will do well in sand but of the ones you listed I would suggest the BFG A/T.
However TRXUS (Interco tire Co.) and MICKEY THOMPSON both make tires specifically for sand that do well in street also. You ought to do some research on those sites and see what I mean. john

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Scoobydew31 said:
Post some pics when you get the time. I know there is a thread in here where someone was trying to start a pic comparison.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Mickey Thompson ATZs are great on sand and strong sidewalls to avoid getting slashed. Popular choice for those in the outback out here. See my car for pics.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Forteras are a street tire so that mommy will have a smooth ride while swerving through traffic talking on her cell phone. I swapped mine out at 3k miles so that I'd have a more aggressive tire for the snow and mountains. I'm running the Silent Armors and they're fine for my use, but the Tuxus or MT's might be better for sand and street use.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks all for the help. I will definitely do some research on the Mickey Thompson tires.

Bomber, can you post some pics of your jeep with MT ATZ tires?

Thanks

·
Registered
46 Posts
In sand you NEED TO AIR DOWN!!! If you are at full psi you WILL GET STUCK!!!

If you get stuck...air down to about 15-17psi on all four tires and see what happens...it will amaze you.

This "lengthens" the tread patch for much more contact area...like a tank tread.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Nick full details and pics here.

Of course you should air down not only for sand but mud and rocks and ruts as well. We use 18-20 for firm sand, a little less for soft sand or if heavy laden and usually somewhere between 22&25 for mud, rocks & rough dirt tracks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts