Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Ive been getting a strange virbration through the steering wheel and pedals between 60 - 70mph when applying the gas, stepping off the gas and braking.

I've had the front pads and discs replaced, wheels balanced etc and still have this strange but semi mild vibration.....any thoughts anyone? Its got 44k on the clock and one year old this month!!!!

PS....If its a duff gearbox like my previous CRD XH I'm gonna torch it!!!!

·
Super Moderator
15,103 Posts
Do you have the chrome clad wheels ?

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you have the chrome clad wheels ?
Nope 20" Startech Alloys, and I've checked it out by putting the stock rims back on and still the same!

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
only vibration I get is from the high quality roads up here...

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
only vibration I get is from the high quality roads up here...
Road surface catagory differences dont make it any better here, all 'BLACK TOP' types still cause the vibration.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
OK,
Your basic diagnosis has been helpful.
Next step, same speed, trans manually held in 4th.
Now, the transfer case and output shafts (driveshafts) will still be rotating at the same speed they were during your initial diagnostics, but the engine and the torque converter will be turning faster.
If the vibration is still present at the same road speed, it likely is a driveshaft issue.
If the vibration occured at a lower road speed, but same R.P.M. as the vibration was occuring during your initial diagnosis, then the very strong possibility of a torque converter lockup clutch failure presents itself.
My money is on a driveshaft based on your initial diagnosis.

Best I can give you at this distance,
Rob

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK,
Your basic diagnosis has been helpful.
Next step, same speed, trans manually held in 4th.
Now, the transfer case and output shafts (driveshafts) will still be rotating at the same speed they were during your initial diagnostics, but the engine and the torque converter will be turning faster.
If the vibration is still present at the same road speed, it likely is a driveshaft issue.
If the vibration occured at a lower road speed, but same R.P.M. as the vibration was occuring during your initial diagnosis, then the very strong possibility of a torque converter lockup clutch failure presents itself.
My money is on a driveshaft based on your initial diagnosis.

Best I can give you at this distance,
Rob
Hi Rob,

Good diagnostics, I ran her out today, with differing speeds and RPM's in 4th gear and the vibration is still there at speeds between 60 & 70mph. No sign of vibration at any other speeds.

My gut feel is that it is the driveshaft as I get the odd driveshft 'clunk' at slow speeds of around 10mph when I apply the gas as well. As I'm off to Florida in the morning for four weeks I'll book her in to the dealer for when I'm back here in the UK.

I'll give an update to this issue in about 5weeks time.

Cheers Rob....good advice from afar :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi Rob,

Good diagnostics, I ran her out today, with differing speeds and RPM's in 4th gear and the vibration is still there at speeds between 60 & 70mph. No sign of vibration at any other speeds.

My gut feel is that it is the driveshaft as I get the odd driveshft 'clunk' at slow speeds of around 10mph when I apply the gas as well. As I'm off to Florida in the morning for four weeks I'll book her in to the dealer for when I'm back here in the UK.

I'll give an update to this issue in about 5weeks time.

Cheers Rob....good advice from afar :)
I had the exact same issue... my torque converter was going bad. I had to replace that and do a transmission rebuild $3,300 dollars. If that is your problem and you caught it early enough, you may be able to just replace the torque converter.

Have you changed the trans fluid yet?

You should take it to a trans shop and get diagnostics done ASAP before it becomes a bigger problem.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Hey UKCommander, hae fun in Florida!

I had my XK in for the vibration about 3 months ago... it turned out to be the passenger wheel bearing AND the front passenger driveshaft. Both of those were replaced under warranty and the vibration I had between 60mph and 80mph went away - problem solved.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi fella,

Well, after a number of road tests and inspections from my local dealer nothing was found to be faulty....however the vibration was still apparent!

Today I bought new 20" tires and new 17" tires for my summer and winter rims and the vibration has gone! The tire man suggested to me that european spec tyres distort quite easily over here with high speed highway driving and the heavy weight placed on the front wheels of most SUV's.

I'll take his word for it as the vibration has gone away simply with the addition of my new rubber.

Oh yeah, I did road teats with the new 20's and the 17's following my purchase and now I'm happy.

My original tires were Pirrelli 20" & 17".....apparently these are the most prone to distortion in the UK!

A lesson learned!

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Hmmm,
The old square tire trick eh.
Well all good news, glad it's resolved.
I have three cars that I show.
For long periods of time they sit in my hangar and when I finally take one out to excercise it, the tires have flat spotted.
Talk about vibration!
This will go on for about 10 minutes till the tire warms and then kinda melts away.
I always wonder though, will they turn round again or did I screw myself?

Interesting that the high speeds and tire makeup makes this more prevalent.
Thanks for the follow up and good to hear from you.

Rob

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I kinda trust my local tire dealer as I pay cash in hand for balancing etc, and that in-turn buys the all the guys lunch's at the shop....i get looked after cheap and they get a belly full of food....and this is a high class tire joint!

But saying that, two other independant tire dealers have said exactly the same to me about tire distortion, especially on Pirrelli and 20" rims.

I've spoken with a work mate and he's got the same issue with his Dicovery 3 on 18" rims and Pirrelli rubber, he's off to his local tire shop today to get a replacement on his front right as he's saying to me that he's so far come up blank with a reason too for the virbration!

I've replaced my rubber with Vredstein tires as they are an approved Mercedes brand as per on my wifes ML. A these winter tires are soft and stick to the road like mud!

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Moved to Wheels & Tires section now that we know the cause.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Moved to Wheels & Tires section now that we know the cause.
Good idea 49er.

My work mate has just called and said his tire got replaced today on his Disco 3 and his vibration has now gone!

Its a shame I never looked into this first and had to put up with the vibration for the past 4 months!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts