Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What types of tires do you buy for the Commander? I have heard that tirerack is the best place, is this correct?
One more thing. Where's the best place for them to mount the tires?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Around here, Discount Tire is the "bestest for the leastest"! In fact, Tire Rack is local and that's where DT gets most of it's tires. DT is usually cheaper that TR at the retail level.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Here is what I went with on my Commander.The 255s are a nice upgrade with 0 rub issues. I bought them from treadepot.com. So far they have been by far the best tires I have ever bought. I bought another set for my Superduty King Ranch.

http://www.treadepot.com/proddetail.html

P255/65R17 520 A B 108T 50,000 OWL $136.00
A layer made with KEVLAR helps provide strength for rugged toughness. KEVLAR also helps absorb noise for smooth and quiet rides. Durawall Rubber Compound helps resist cuts and punctures in the sidewall area as well.

Armor zone:two high tensile steel belts and a layer w/Dupont KEVLAR: Provides strength for rugged toughness.
Rugged rim guard: Protects expevsive wheels against accidental curb damage.
Durawall rubber compound: Provides strength and helps to resist punctures in the sidewall area.
Quiet zone: layer made w/KEVLAR(R): Helps soak up road noise for a smooth, quiet ride.
Traction ridges: Rugged tread apttern provides off-road traction in wet, muddy conditions.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
cc1999 said:
Here is what I went with on my Commander.The 255s are a nice upgrade with 0 rub issues.
I have the same tires on my Commander in the 245/70R17 black letter variety. I also run the SilentArmor tires on my Cherokee... amazing in snow and mud and rain and dry pavement... just overall an amazing tire.

·
Registered
717 Posts
rubicontrail.net said:
I have the same tires on my Commander in the 245/70R17 black letter variety. I also run the SilentArmor tires on my Cherokee... amazing in snow and mud and rain and dry pavement... just overall an amazing tire.
I agree with you 100 percent on those Silent Armors.....I ran those on my Grand Cherokee....awesome in the snow

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
RedCommander said:
Are you guys taking your Jeeps in to have the tire size changed in starscan, or just living with inaccurate speedometers?
Starscan doesn't really give too much of a selection of tires. I have ran my Commander through several of the "your speed is" signs (we have them permanantly mounted at major intersections in my town now). The small difference in tire circumference isn't causing a noticable difference in the speedometer reading.

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
I have 255/70R17 Bridgestone A/T Dueler REVOs. I have no rubbing issues, they sound good on the highway and I haven't had any traction issues on or off road. Pics are over in the pic area.

edited to correct 60s to 70s.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
PolarBZ said:
I have 255/70R17 Bridgestone A/T Dueler REVOs. I have no rubbing issues, they sound good on the highway and I haven't had any traction issues on or off road. Pics are over in the pic area.

edited to correct 60s to 70s.

Does that tire size fit as a spare?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts