Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have narrowed it down to two sizes - either stick with stock size or gain about an inch going to a 245/70-17.

I just can't seem to pull the trigger. Is there a substantial mileage loss in going up an inch? Will I get that much better performance out of the taller tire and is it worth the mileage loss? I do very little off-roading (not by choice, just nowhere to go around here) but we do get lots of snow. I know the taller tire will help out in the snow.

I have the Rocky Road lift and Spidertrax spacers, so clearance is not an issue with the sizes I'm considering.

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
I just spent the day 4x4ing with my new 255/75R17 and got 8 mpg.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Go with the taller tire, you won't be disappointed. In fact you may get better MPG on the highway. I could not tell the difference with mine, but I did do a few other mods at the same time.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I got the 245/70-17 Nokian Vatiiva A/T. About 1" taller than stock. Only one day on them so it's hard to say how they are in all situations other than they feel a lot better than the OEM junk that was on there.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Each time the tire rotates with a a larger tire the Jeep will cover a greater distance, so the computer MPG readout and speedo will be off. You"ll have to add 5-10 % to the road speed and mileage to figure out a true number - it all depends on how tall you go.

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
With the new 32's on my XK my speedometer is slow by 5 MPH

·
Registered
230 Posts
Brendon - I am certain you won't be disappointed with the Nokian tires - these things have been great on my Jeep so far. I lost very little in actual mpg since adding them, and I have been playing around with tire pressure (currently at 35psi and thinking of going up to around 39psi) - Let me know what you think!

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I'm glad you like them. For me it was never really a question of what tires, but what size.

I love Nokian tyres (I liked them so much I became a "hobby dealer" for Nokian a few years ago) and have them on all my cars that see winters.

I am running these at 37psi and seems good so far. My Jeep actually corners better on the pavement with these tyres, the lift, and spacers than it did stock. I can't wait for the snow to fly.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How do you mean "rub on the rim"?

I have 245/70-17 and get no rubbing. Tires went on after lift and spacers, but I'm guessing this size wouldn't give a stock setup too much trouble.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts