Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't afford new tires due to job cuts, so knowing we needed some shoes on our XK, I figured I'd find something on our club board, or one of the local clubs.

Stock size as ya know is 245/65/17, the tires I picked up for a steal after only being driven maybe 2000 or so miles are 255/75/17.

We are going from a 29.5" to a 32.1" tire.

Looks like it will all fit, but I'm worried about rubbing.

When I purchased them I thought they were 245/75/17's, I had my numbers confused. :alf:

My speedo will be off about 5mph, is there a fix for this? We don't trail the XK so if day to day driving the tires won't rub that would be great.

And if we are looking at some minor rubbing and I need to do a budget boost or something, thats cool, could someone recommend me a reasonably priced solution?

Thanks very much.

Blair

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
the tires I picked up for a steal after only being driven maybe 2000 or so miles are 255/75/17.

We are going from a 29.5" to a 32.1" tire.

Looks like it will all fit, but I'm worried about rubbing.
You will get rubbing with those tires unless you have the SuperLift

My speedo will be off about 5mph, is there a fix for this?
Not for a tire that large.

·
Registered
266 Posts
The speedo being off is correctable using the Superchips machine. Try to see if there is a member here that is close to you or you can try suspension shops, they sometimes has a computer. The tire size I don't know...but there is a thread on here which is a poll of everyones tire size/lift/rubbing issues. Should be in the tires/section.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
You will get rubbing with those tires unless you have the SuperLift

Not for a tire that large.
I was Googling around and found the Rocky Road 2.25" lift. I could swing that if I needed it to clear my tires. Althought the much needed savings by buying these tires is almost wasted by spending it on the small lift kit.

If I am led to believe I need to pick up a 4" Superlift $2k lift kit, then the tires are as good as sold.

The speedo being off is correctable using the Superchips machine. Try to see if there is a member here that is close to you or you can try suspension shops, they sometimes has a computer. The tire size I don't know...but there is a thread on here which is a poll of everyones tire size/lift/rubbing issues. Should be in the tires/section.

Thanks for the info. I'll check around.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Check around regarding re-calibrating the speedo. I know Hypertech and Superchips both have a program but 49er is a wealth of knowledge and if he says you can't calibrate for that big of tire, he is usually right. Good luck

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
You do not need a 4 inch superlift to run these tires, however I think you're in over your head if you didnt plan on spending that much money. The reason being is that there is no way youll fit those tires on your stock Commander. To even fit them on your commander youll need at least a 2 inch lift and wheel spacers, and even then you will have rubbing on the rear portion of the front wheel well. Nothing that a little trimming cant fix though.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Let me clarify..........I'm not against spending some coin, it's just really tight at the current time. I work in Civil Engineering and our firm is in a tough spot.

I would love to boost the Commander to fit the bigger tires, I was feeling the one post was hinting at a expensive 4" lift. I budget build everything, I built my CJ through budget parts, trades, stuff like that.

Unfortunately, I need tires worse than I need a lift. This is our main runner, it needs to have tires pronto.

Thanks for all the info.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
I run 255/75/17's and the only way they fit was with a 2 inch lift, 1.5 inch hubcentric spacers and trimming the plastic wheel well liners and pounding down the pinch welds. You can not run these tires "for awhile" without that stuff. Spacers were $99/axle, you need them at least for the front. Lift retails for about $200. Also need a front end alignment.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the heads up. While I'd love to lift it, and the spacers are not an issue (I run some on my CJ) I may simply trade the tires off or sell them outright to recoup my money.

Thanks for all the help, I'll post up pics if the lift is the route we take.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts