Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took the XK in today to have a squeak in the front passenger tire looked at - and the service advisor asked if I had the speedo calibrated since the new tires were put on. When i told him that they couldn't because of the tire size, 265-70-17, he stated that my warranty would be voided because I had in effect tampered with the speedo - has anyone has this happen?

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
That is a new one, They cannot void the entire warranty, only parts effected by the modification. If they are saying that you are getting more miles out of it (the warranty) because if the tire change they still have the time limit (7 years/70,000 etc.) or could use a calculator to determine approximate actual miles. So although they may say it cancels the warranty they would lose the fight if it went to court.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Always good to hear about another useless dealership and an obvious slug of a service advisor. Too bad they do not focus the same energy on our problems rather than how to aviod the crazy thought of customer service. I 'd rather have a root canal anymore than go to any dealer for service. Warranty coverage for some reason seems to be even harder to obtain. To bad the service managers of the world's parents didnt use the term "Could not duplicate" prior to conception so we would not have to hear it following every visit with warranty issues or vehicle problems. Sorry but I have just about had my fill with these guys.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm with you on the dealers and advisors - going in anymore just hurts! I'm waiting for the phone call to find out how much they are going to "try" and get out of me above and beyond the $100 deductible.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
I haven't had those issues yet, me dealer's been very responsive to my needs. Then again, it is a smaller dealer and getting warranty work means that they're at least getting paid something.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
They can void the warranty. Your owners manual states that if you in any way alter the speedometer your warranty is null and void. Quote Magnumson Moss all you want, but you've been reporting mileage inaccurately and that is no different that unplugging the speedometer.

Yes, they may lose the fight in court, but they shouldn't, and it would take you well past your warranty period to get to a victory.

Realistically, most dealers will never say a word about a possibly voided warranty. Get a different dealer.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Complete BS- go to another dealer. My dealer loves it when I bring the xk in. They hook me up with a car and never charge me a dime to look at it. If I bring it in for an unknown squeak they will do their best to find it and never give me a run around. So if your dealer is pressuring you with a line of BS I would ask for the service manager or if it is the service manager I would go to another dealer. Dealers operate as seperate entities and the service varies greatly from one to the other.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
I agree, dealers are all different however I have found that you only get two kinds. One will help you with anything you need no matter what. The other kind treats you like your a worthless piece of trash that barely has a brain enought to get through the door. The dealer I bought my XK from is the good kind, they are far away from me but I go to them because they are good. The bad kind is the one just down the road from me. Once I took a TJ in because it barely ran at all. They told me I put the wrong spark plugs in. When I finally worked on the jeep with a friend it turned out the CPS (camshaft position sensor) gear was stripped clean. The only reason the dealer assumed the spark plugs were wrong was becasue they asked me if I put them in myself and because I did, thats how they came to the conclusion. If the next dealer near you is 50 miles away I suggest going to them because you will probably be pleased with the difference.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
unfortunately, my service plan is through them, so oil changes will remain for another 9,000 miles - warranty work though i think i'll take your guys advice and go across town to another dealer, thanks for the feedback. And by the way - my problem did get resolved and I only had to pay the deductible, but this dealer needs to invest some time and energy into customer service skills.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
Customer service goes a long way with me as well. There are 2 dealers closer to me than the one I usually use for that reason.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts