Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day,
I'm a long time reader but a brand new member. (Tired of being a voyeur!)
I've got a 2008 Commander need tires and am thinking about upsizing. Discount Tire lists an optional upsize of 275/60rX17 on stock wheels.
Will that fit without "much" contact?
Thanks all.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Yes you could fit that tire. As long as you run either 1 inch or 1.25 inch wheel spacers. Those tires (275/60R17) measure approx. 29.99 inches tall and 10.82 inches wide. That's only a 1/2 inch taller then stock. The reason for the spacers is because that tire is wider and would hit the upper ball joint bolt. Worse case senerio, you might have slight rubbing due to the tire width and no lift but that would be an easy fix to prevent that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tires

Thanks Gentlemen,
Since i'm the cheap bastard that i am, and dont really have any discretionary funds at this time, i'll have to opt with the 255/65X17's and be happy. I'm hoping for a "Lift" kit for Christmas, so i'll shoot for bigger tires "and" wheels then.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
OOPS! I was wrong when I said that they wouldn't fit. I was starting to answer you and my wife was trying to rush us out the door.

Sorry bout that....but it was her fault. wink. wink.

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
Thanks Gentlemen,
Since i'm the cheap bastard that i am, and dont really have any discretionary funds at this time, i'll have to opt with the 255/65X17's and be happy. I'm hoping for a "Lift" kit for Christmas, so i'll shoot for bigger tires "and" wheels then.
P255/65R17's are approximately 1/2" bigger in diameter and 1/2" wider than the stock P245/65R17's and will fit with no issues. That is what I am running. They throw the speedometer and MPG readings off slightly, but not enough to concern me. I use the GPS for speed. Does anyone know if dealer can program 255/65R17 tires? :icon_confused:

·
Registered
809 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
I am running 245/70R17 BFGoodrich mud terrains. Even though this technically is only 1" larger than stock, it turned out to be 2" larger. When I measured my previous tire under the vehicle (a BFG Rugged Trail 245/65R17) it measured 28" in height. With the new tire under the vehicle, I measure 30". I do have a lift, I was just merely trying to state that the numbers on the tire don't tell the whole truth.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am running 245/70R17 BFGoodrich mud terrains. Even though this technically is only 1" larger than stock, it turned out to be 2" larger. When I measured my previous tire under the vehicle (a BFG Rugged Trail 245/65R17) it measured 28" in height. With the new tire under the vehicle, I measure 30". I do have a lift, I was just merely trying to state that the numbers on the tire don't tell the whole truth.
I am running 245/70R17 DuraTracs and they fit fine, no rubbing. 2006 XK, stock.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Show of hands, rather comments...do you buy tires based on price, brand or 'purpose'? Also, what brand/model of tires did you purchase, and how many miles are you already driving on them? Like/Dislike?

I had my stock GY Fortera HLs to about 32K, then replaced w/ Kuhmo's Venture AP 51s (big mistake, lasted at least 35k but just pathetic). I finally drop the gun and go the Michelin Latitudes instead (stock size, no lift kit).

Just curious what others were driving and their opinions.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I lucked into the tires that I have on my XK as they are BF Goodrich Long Trail T/A Tours and they came with the truck from the lot. They're nearly new. Unfortunately, they're rated poorly for off-road use but my Commander probably won't see a lot of that and they're great in the rain.

Anyway, I did tires for about 3 years when I was a kid and was always impressed with BFG and so they're what I put on my trucks. I do like Michelin as well, and had a set of Destiny 80,000 mile tires on my Volvo that ran forever and didn't look like they wore at all.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts