Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone use Seafoam in their tank? A mechanic at my dealer recommended it recently and i am not sure if i want to "fix something that may not be broken".:grim:

I searched some threads here but nothing convincing enough for me to dump it in my tank. Thoughts? Experience?

Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
14,959 Posts
It won't hurt anything.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I put some in my tank every once in a while, no issues here, however i have heard of problems when you start using it thru the air intake, vaccum system and putting it into the motor oil....

·
Registered
343 Posts
I was just thinking about doing this. I planned on 1/2 in the tank and 1/2 in the oil, seeing as I will do an oil change this week. With only 55k I do not see a need to put it through the vac lines.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
If you are diligent with your oil change schedule there is no need to put anything but engine oil in your crankcase.....the don't fix what aint broke mentality is a good one, to a point.
Regarding fuel injection cleaning additives added to the fuel tank.....this seems to be very effective as a fuel injector maintenence method......I use Chevron with Techron in the large bottle twice a year on all my vehicles.
Blazer, now showing 251k still flying the original injector spider (a known weak design) using this product and schedule.

I have no direct experience with sea-foam.....just word of mouth.
I have not heard of any negative experiences with it.

Rob

·
Banned
246 Posts
In the owners manual it states "All gasoline sold in the United States is required to contain effective detergent additives." "Therefore you should not have to add anything to the fuel"

·
Registered
343 Posts
In the owners manual it states "All gasoline sold in the United States is required to contain effective detergent additives." "Therefore you should not have to add anything to the fuel"

Judging from another post, I'm guessing you read the owners manual from cover to cover.

On a side note, I just put some in my gas and oil, let you know if anything comes of it.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I usually use some seafoam on my 99 dakota about once a year, but it has 230k on it. It works great right before an oil change. Also, with mine, i'll dump some into a vaccum line. It cleans very well, but produces alot of smoke.

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about 'foaming unless you have high milage or have alot of wear and tear.

...of course the smoke show is always pretty awesome.

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
Is this the white stuff that collects on the beach after a storm? :icon_confused:

·
Super Moderator
14,959 Posts

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
Yes, that's it.

Thank you. That's what I thought. If anyone would know this, it would be you, o great one! Would one be better off using Atlantic or Pacific Seafoam? :icon_confused:

·
Registered
275 Posts
I've used seafoam on some motorcycles to help stabilize fuel and clean carbs. I've also used it in my Jetta TDI. Gives it a little better milage and some pep. I also sprayed it up the intake to clean the diesel sludginess out of the VW and it worked allright for that. It's quite amazing when the diesel goo inside the intake comes off and goes into the engine how much thick smoke it will make. Kinda fun smoking out the neighbors. Anyway... I've never tried it in a newer Gasoline powered vehicle can't imagine much harm would come out of it.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I've used it on a car or two (though not on the xk yet), through the fuel does tend to clean out the injectors.

Through a vac line/intake better make sure your neighbors know your doing it on purpose--or risk having the fire department called for the resulting amount of smoke and 'fire' that should go with it.

I thought australian sea foam was the best:

·
Banned
246 Posts
Man if you have sea foam then don't you need to flush? There's a forum for that right, I think all you need is a garden hose.

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
Man if you have sea foam then don't you need to flush? There's a forum for that right, I think all you need is a garden hose.
Power Washer? :stickpoke: :eyemouth:

·
Registered
156 Posts
I've used it in all my vehicles. I put it in the Commander every 6k. I'm currently at 97k and it still runs like it did when I got it. I also use full synthetic oil though. Much like any other additive, shouldn't be needed in the oil, etc. But, as a fuel system cleaner I recommend it since there are places that sell less than quality fuels.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts