Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was talking with a co-worker today about the snow we have been getting and said I have been pretty impressed by how the Jeep has been handling. He who has a rusty Jeep Wrangler Sahara said yeah mine will go through anything, and then he asked what mine was again and I said its the Jeep Commander, his response "oh the Maroon one out in the lot, whaa whaa!" " I have a real jeep."

I was kinda pissed, granted I do have the base model with v6, but I really like it and it has done everything that I have asked of it and I couldn't be happier. While I won't be taking it off road, it holds 7 passengers, seats fold flat to haul my upholstery work to customers and it has done well plowing through 6-7 inches of snow without any tire slippage and sliding around, so for me its great. Sorry I will get off my soap box now.

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
I suspect many people here have taken their non-Jeep Commanders to places he hasn't taken his Wrangler.

The Commander is by far the best family orv.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Some people will never see the forest through the trees!

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
A lot of Wrangler owners think they they have the only true Jeep vehicle. Those guys must absolutely despise the Jeep Compass.

·
Registered
205 Posts

Don't worry about it, it sounds like it was just a little good natured ribbing. I'm sure he'd much rather you be in a Commander than a 4Runner, Pilot, etc. Wranglers have a tradition of being an off-road icon where big SUV's have a reputation of being replacements for mini-vans. Wrangler guys are irritated w/ Jeep's degrading of the brand image w/ S-boxes like the Compass, and now offering a 4dr RWD Wrangler. The Commander is a very capable vehicle and if it's suits your needs, then be proud to drive it and don't let a little ribbing get you irritated. :eek:rangehat:

·
Registered
98 Posts
The two main differences between the Wrangler and the Commander (equipped with Quadra-Trac II) when running off road is:
  • The Commander has a longer wheelbase than the Wrangler. This means you’re more vulnerable to “high-centering” the Commander.
  • The Wrangler has a better departure angle than the Commander, so you are more likely to drag the rear of your Commander in severe angles.
Other than that, both are very capable off-road vehicles. Of course the Commander provides a superior driving experience while on the expressway to reach your off-road adventure.

--Spike

·
Registered
444 Posts
Wranglers are so common anyway... nothing ever really changes on them, which is a nice thing about the Wrangler, but a Commander turns heads when you drive by. The Wrangler is common that nobody really ever notices, but a Commander demands attention even when it's not meaning to.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I own both vehicles and I tell you, I take serious offense to morons stating that the Commander isn't a "real" Jeep. I absolutely love the Commander and I feel comfortable taking it off-road, probably as much as I do the Rubicon. What people don't realize or always fail to mention is that it's not the vehicle, it's the driver!!!!!

The Commander is an exceptional vehicle and it's built to meet several needs that the Wrangler was never meant to focus on (and I say that knowing that some will think that the JK might be able to answer some of the areas that the TJ couldn't). Anyways, it's people like that who will run their wranglers to death and then go out and buy a freaking Highlander or something thinking they're getting a better vehicle than their Jeep.

Just goes to show why the big three are in such crazy trouble.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
If you want me to take a road trip to where you are and show this guy the Commander is a real jeep I'd be up to it!

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Some of you guys crack me up, but it's OK, I realize this is an XK forum. :eek:rangehat:
Oh now, you know what I meant!
I know you got the wrangler a few months ago, and I love em too, especially the 5 spd like yours.
But, the focus of the wrangler is not really condusive to being a good all around vehicle, just one of the best off roaders with daily driver capability if the operator is up to it.
I just don't think the wrangler operator should look down on the commander operator by virtue of his personal opinion. (not a real jeep)
Now, if the discussion was one of those Jeep bodied Calibers as comparison, I'm afraid I might be inclined the think thats not a real Jeep, and I think all agree, it's not.

BTW, Good morning all!
Today is Pearl Harbor Day, ........Never Forget!

Rob

·
Registered
205 Posts
Oh now, you know what I meant!
I know you got the wrangler a few months ago, and I love em too, especially the 5 spd like yours.
But, the focus of the wrangler is not really condusive to being a good all around vehicle, just one of the best off roaders with daily driver capability if the operator is up to it.
I just don't think the wrangler operator should look down on the commander operator by virtue of his personal opinion. (not a real jeep)
Now, if the discussion was one of those Jeep bodied Calibers as comparison, I'm afraid I might be inclined the think thats not a real Jeep, and I think all agree, it's not.

BTW, Good morning all!
Today is Pearl Harbor Day, ........Never Forget!

Rob
It's cool man. This is my 3rd Wrangler, so it's kinda in my blood a little. I don't look down on the XK at all, it's a great vehicle but it's too different from the Wrangler for comparison as they're built for different purposes. There's a lot more different in their off road capabilities than just their break-over and departure angles... articulation, ground clearance, turning radius, gearing, 4wd systems, transmissions... As far as driving experience, I'll take the Commander any day on a longer multi-hour drive, but for short drives to work, the beach, or any nice top down day, you can't beat the top down, doors off, wind in your hair experience of the Wrangler. Add in the Jeep Wave that seems to be extremely rare w/ the local XK crowd since that's part of the 'driving experience'. Then there's the comment about uniqueness and nothing changing, etc... Part of what drives the cult-like following of the Wrangler is it's traditional looks. Even still, to compare it to the XK like the average person could tell the difference between an 06 and 09 makes no sense.

ALL this said, I don't look down on the XK one single bit. They're two great vehicles built for different purposes. I'll stick up for the Wrangler on an XK forum in the same way I'd stick up for the XK if it were getting bashed on a Wrangler forum... but that's something I haven't seen since about 2006 from the Wrangler guys. Drive your Jeep and be happy with it, we should all just be glad that we're passionate about driving domestic SUV's w/ a 4WD tradition not found from most other vehicles. :eek:rangehat:

·
Registered
130 Posts
Yeah, I deal with these nay sayers every once in a while. The last one I dealt with was a teammate that had a new H3 and his comment was directed at me and was as follows " you know you really wanted a HUMMER" and my comment was " I would rather have a top of the line JEEP than a bottom of the line HUMMER" followed by "the H2 is just for people who can't afford an H1 and all it is is a Chevy thruck with a body kit in other words a fake HUMMER and furthermore an H3 is for people who can't get an H2 so an H3 is a fake of a fake". The room erupted with laughter and silence fell from the mouth of the JEEP basher. Conversations are often tense with a room full of Alpha males armed to the teeth and capable of taking over a small country.

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
Yeah, I deal with these nay sayers every once in a while. The last one I dealt with was a teammate that had a new H3 and his comment was directed at me and was as follows " you know you really wanted a HUMMER" and my comment was " I would rather have a top of the line JEEP than a bottom of the line HUMMER" followed by "the H2 is just for people who can't afford an H1 and all it is is a Chevy thruck with a body kit in other words a fake HUMMER and furthermore an H3 is for people who can't get an H2 so an H3 is a fake of a fake". The room erupted with laughter and silence fell from the mouth of the JEEP basher. Conversations are often tense with a room full of Alpha males armed to the teeth and capable of taking over a small country.

A lot of the offroad Hummer guys prefer the H3 over the H2 because it is so better suited for offroad driving. It has nothing to do with being able to afford one over the other... I'm not a Hummer fan at all, but I'd still rather have an H3 instead of an H2 for offroading.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
....and id still rather have an XK then a Hummer! lol

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
that dude's just a hater. don't pay him any attention. if it says jeep on the hood it's a jeep.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts