Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
funny conversation I was having with my wife earlier.... about the Limited Commander... went a little something like this:
Babe: hon, I really like your new truck. it is sooo nice.
ME: I know lady, it really is a beaut, I got really lucky.
Babe: yeah, but there's just so much chrome...
ME: what?!?! its a limited, I suppose we could just wrap it(sarcastic), yeah I'll just order a mossy oak wrap and slap it on this weekend.

anyone of you guys with limiteds or sports with chrome had anything like this happen. I had planned when I switch out the tires, that I would probably plasti-dip the wheels(not crazy about the 6 point rims). but I am kind of fond of the chrome trim, it reminds me of my first jeep-'91 grand Cherokee Lerado. ahh, such good times. it was inferno red with the chrome bumpers, grill, and door strips and roof rack.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
06 limited very happy with my chrome and have been for 10 yrs.. There are people on here that would gladly swap your grill for theirs if it is a problem for your wife.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Funny....that was strict criteria when searching for my Limited. I wanted limited chrome. Seems everyone that came on the used market around here had chrome fender flair bolts (hate 'em), running boards & rear grab handles. All that chrome to me makes it look like an NBA star or rapper's vehicle. It took me almost a year to find one the running gear I wanted with just chrome wheels, grill & side molding.

·
Registered
954 Posts
I like my limited chrome though sometimes I wish I had the chrome clad wheels. I'll gladly trade anyone who doesn't want their chrome OEM wheels lol.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
pictures of what you have. I have the 6 point 17" chrome factory.... I'm not too particular on what I want really, but that classic 5 point star in aluminum alloy would sure hit the spot. HAHA

·
Registered
954 Posts
Yep, that's what I have. I always liked how the chrome ones look on a white Commander too.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I love chrome. It's not common anymore so it stands out for me. The only chrome I wish I didn't have is the fake bolts on the flares.

·
Super Moderator
5,882 Posts
I love chrome. It's not common anymore so it stands out for me. The only chrome I wish I didn't have is the fake bolts on the flares.
My 2008 Sport had virtually no chrome when I bought it.

That's not really the case anymore as I've added some here and there.

I wasn't a big fan of chrome at first, but, the more I added, the more I liked it.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I love the chrome on the XK. It's perfectly done, imho... I have the chrome with the 5point alloys and I think it looks great. My body shop buddy keeps asking me if I'm ready to paint all the chrome white and paint the wheels black. My response is always the same. Why would I want the same Jeep / vehicle as everyone else? EVERYONE is going with black wheels. No thanks.

·
Super Moderator
5,882 Posts
I love the chrome on the XK. It's perfectly done, imho... I have the chrome with the 5point alloys and I think it looks great. My body shop buddy keeps asking me if I'm ready to paint all the chrome white and paint the wheels black. My response is always the same. Why would I want the same Jeep / vehicle as everyone else? EVERYONE is going with black wheels. No thanks.
Yep, that seems to be the popular trend now, either painting everything black and/or Plasti-dipping everything.

I don't care for that look very much myself.

·
Super Moderator
5,882 Posts
I like a combination of chrome as well as black. I think my XK pulls both off nicely. I like the small touches of chrome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree that a blend of both is fitting, plus your ride is Silver, which ties in nicely with Chrome accents.

There are some places where black belongs; the side mirrors, the rock sliders, roof rails, the trim around the windows and the step bad on the rear bumper are a few examples.

Alot of my black sport trim was badly weather-beaten, so, when I replaced it with Chrome trim and added some other small chrome accents here and there, it really popped.

Plus it blended with my rims really well.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Your color can pull off both chrome or black for sure. I agree with where not to put chrome lol certain places it makes it look tacky or from the shelf of AutoZone or Pepboys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Yep, that seems to be the popular trend now, either painting everything black and/or Plasti-dipping everything.

I don't care for that look very much myself.
Hah... yeah that'd be me.

I left the door guards chrome... and my wheels aren't all black though. My grill chrome was pitted from gravel and the like so I just had to dip it since it drove me nuts.

·
Super Moderator
5,882 Posts
Hah... yeah that'd be me.

I left the door guards chrome... and my wheels aren't all black though. My grill chrome was pitted from gravel and the like so I just had to dip it since it drove me nuts.
That I can understand but some guys are doing it just to make it black - not because there was damage to the original finish.

To each his own I guess.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So guys, sorry its been a minute. I PCSed to Colorado and found out where all commanders are hanging out. several thousand miles on the daddy wagon...and the anthracite plasti dip has held up remarkably.
I ended up "de-chroming" everything but the grill. I get a lot of compliments and looks. I'll post some pictures of the work once I figure out the resolution.

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
resized for your enjoyment. also, a not so subtle geo-tag so you guys can hit some trails in the pikes

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts