Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

I need to tow my Commander and this will most likely be the only time I will ever do it.

If it's feasable, I'd like to possibly use a tow bar setup. I can buy the bar for $70, but I notice things like additional brackets would be $300+. Is there a way to hook up the tow bar to the tow hook holes already on the Jeep without adding all kinds of additional work and expense. We will be towing it about 70 miles total.

Thanks
Bob

·
Registered
37 Posts
Cost of the baseplate - $350 - 400 from Blue Ox

Cost of the tow bar - NOT CHEAP for a good one. The $70 bar might be better if it has the weight rating to tow it.

Have to add some sort of auxiliary brake system and brake light system.

The base plate is pretty straight forward to install but you have to take the front facia off to get at things. They are normally designed to use existing holes in the frame rails and you will likely need to remove your tow hooks to install the base plate.

The towing vehicle needs to be rated beefy enough to tow the Commander and it is not a light vehicle. Another option might be to rent a car trailer from U-HAUL since it sounds like this might be a 1 time towing of the Commander. Might even still be cheaper to rent a truck from them and the trailer.

·
Super Moderator
15,103 Posts
Don't forget to put the 4WD in neutral before you tow it.

·
Super Moderator
15,103 Posts
Jeep says not to 2 wheel dolly their 4WD vehicles even with the TC in neutral. Flat tow with the TC in neutral or trailer it.
That is correct !

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
I wouldn't put any vehicle on a two wheel dolly anyway. I've seen some bad things happen with those.
Agreed. Car trailers aren't much more expensive than dollies, and much safer for both the tow vehicle and the towed vehicle.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just learned from UHAUL

UHAUL just advised to tow a Commander on their trailer, your tow vehicle hitch must be 7500 rated.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts