Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a travel trailer that I tow with my 06 V8 hemi Overland. The issue I'm having is that the battery in the trailer is not recharging while plugged into the truck and being towed. I've swapped out the battery, hoping that's the issue, but no dice. The RV store says it's probably the fuse that blown and I should check that. The problem is that it's not clear which fuse charges a tow battery. The manual clearly shows turning and stopping fuses for a trailer, but not the battery. Any help?

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Don't know about the fuse but you could use a multimeter to see if your connection has power to it. If you're looking at the trailer plug I think the ground is at 11 o'clock and the 12 volt pin is at 5 o'clock. I'm guessing the key has to be on for the power pin to have power but I'm not sure and it's too dang hot out to go check.

Anyway if it does have power then go back to your battery and check the wire there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't know about the fuse but you could use a multimeter to see if your connection has power to it. If you're looking at the trailer plug I think the ground is at 11 o'clock and the 12 volt pin is at 5 o'clock. I'm guessing the key has to be on for the power pin to have power but I'm not sure and it's too dang hot out to go check.

Anyway if it does have power then go back to your battery and check the wire there.
Thanks, I'll look next time I'm with the trailer (we keep it in storage). I kow the hitch has power, since the brake and blinker lights work.... So fustrating.

·
Registered
120 Posts
maybe he meant a fuse somewhere on the trailer?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Check and see if you have a special wire ribbon.g from your battery to the rear of your power outlet on your tow vehicle. Maybe there is a fuse somewhere along that line or u could have dirty connections. Just a few suggestions.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Are you talking about house batteries on a travel trailer? They will take forever if ever to charge via the 16ish gauge stock wire.

My 2 new deep cycles for my 21ft toy hauler took 2 days to charge via the 30 amp plug just as an example..

If you want to charge them via the alternator you would need to run a separate line of very large gauge to get enough amps through.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts