Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the trailer tow package IV on my Commander with the 4.7L V8. Does anyone know if it is supposed to come with the 4pin -> 7pin wiring harness? If so, where did Jeep hide it?

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you have the factory installed package, the 7 pin connector is to the left of the receiver (under a spring loaded cap). To use a four pin connection, there is an adapter that you insert into the 7 pin and the spring cap holds it in place, you can then hook up a four pin connector. It should have come with your JC, if you don't have it ask your dealer for one, should be free. If you have had an aftermarket hitch installed, they may have tie strapped the harness up under somewhere near the receiver (that's where I found mine). Also, if you had an aftermarket installed, make sure they tell the computer that a tow harness and package has been installed. Hope this helps.:cool:

·
Registered
57 Posts
xkjohn said:
I have the trailer tow package IV on my Commander with the 4.7L V8. Does anyone know if it is supposed to come with the 4pin -> 7pin wiring harness? If so, where did Jeep hide it?
Yes the tow package IV should come with the 7>4 pin adapter. I had to go back to the dealer to get mine. Here is a list of items that should come with each of the option groups. I see that the back camera is listed. That must be for the new Nav radio that is supposed to come out later.

http://www.xkjeeps.com/xk_features.htm

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've got the tow package and the 7 pin is next to the receiver. I have a 4 pin that is up behind the bumber (backside of 7pin). I haven't used it yet but it looks like it is wired and not an adaptor to plug into the 7 pin. Looks like you can just plug right into it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Reguarding the Class IV receiver, i placed a 2" ball mount mine and though it's staying in place it sure isn't a good fit and makes some noise every time i hit a speed bump. Anyone else had this problem? Are Ball mounts for Class III Hitches that are 2" not the standard size for this Class IV Hitch?

·
Registered
57 Posts
ladeefrickenda said:
I've got the tow package and the 7 pin is next to the receiver. I have a 4 pin that is up behind the bumber (backside of 7pin). I haven't used it yet but it looks like it is wired and not an adaptor to plug into the 7 pin. Looks like you can just plug right into it.
I checked mine and there is a 4 pin connector as well. The 4 pin connector is not the same thing as a 7>4 pin adapter. If you have the Tow package IV then you should also have the adapter. No big deal except it is easier to connect a trailer (or other vehicle) using the adapter than it would be lying down on the ground between the trailer and the XK to make the connection.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all for the input. I have the factory tow package, and next to the receiver is the 7pin port under a protective flap. I was hoping they hid the 4pin adaptor in the vehicle somewhere, but I guess not. I have an appt at the dealership to get the mopar remote starter installed, so I will ask them for it then.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have the Tow Package IV with the 7 pin next to the receiver and the 4 pin connector forward of the 7 pin. I did not get a 7 to 4 adaptor but I do not know why they would offer one with the 4 pin connector already installed. Anyway, I bought my Commander in another city so it is not worth it to go get it from the dealer when I can buy one for under $20, I think, at Walmart.

However, thanks to the people on this forum. I did not know that the 4 pin connector was there until I looked for it after reading about it here.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts