Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I have a 06 commander 5.7 and have finally got the time to give her some appreciation and get her out a bit more so looking to dress her up a bit. It is a bit harder down in aus as commanders are alot less common and the modification laws make it hard to step out of the box too much.

Plan so far is:
  • Afe magnum force cold air intake
  • BLACK HORSE® - Black Tail Light Guards
  • Black Horse® - Black Modular Design Grille Guard
  • BLACK RHINO® - WANAKA Matte Black rims
  • JET® - Stage 1 Ignition Performance Module
  • already has custom exhaust drops a note to appreciate the hemi but keep the cops away
  • some rocky Road sliders when they get back to me on postage $$

Problems i am having, Black horse grill requires removing tow point wondering if someone has had this problem and what they did not keen on going out without a recovery option.

Second query was with the jets performance module would qualify for jets stage 2 if I switch to a 180 thermostat but from what I've heard thats not a great idea

Any info would be appreciated

·
Registered
261 Posts
I imagine the grille guard makes use of the tow point mounting holes, but you may still be able to remount the hooks back in place with longer bolts? I couldnt find that product though, so its hard to say for sure. I know i would not give up my tow points for a grille guard, but i also get into some precarious situations regularly.

·
Super Moderator
6,931 Posts
Black Horse® - Black Modular Design Grille Guard

The mounting bracket has the l shape bracket on the out side so don't think I can
I ran into similar issues when I had a Black horse Grille/Brush guard installed a few years back, in that I could not install tow hooks on the front because the Grille Guard utilized those recovery mounting points.

My solution - albeit a costly one, was to upgrade to a custom steel front bumper by WAM with a SmittyBuilt 9500lb winch and welded recovery points with heavy duty shackles on it.

You hope you never have to use them, but, it sure gives you piece of mind knowing that they're there.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I seen your bumper looks fantastic, nobody down here does that scale of works otherwise I would have one already as id like one strong enough to handle roos

·
Super Moderator
6,931 Posts
Yeah I seen your bumper looks fantastic, nobody down here does that scale of works otherwise I would have one already as id like one strong enough to handle roos
Thanks @5.7 down under;

Post an introduction to the forum in the New Member Section when you get a chance;

Thanks & welcome aboard.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I seem to recall someone somewhere along the way fabbing up a mount that somehow worked in conjunction with the grill guard.

Not sure how the grill guard mounts but i feel like you could get some longer bolts and some angle iron and make it work.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah I've had the bar sitting around 6 months, might have to check some of the fab places see if they are brave enough

·
Super Moderator
6,931 Posts
Yeah I've had the bar sitting around 6 months, might have to check some of the fab places see if they are brave enough
Where there's a will, there's a way.

·
Registered
438 Posts
You could look at a curt front hitch and see if the guard would mount to it.

Doesnt look like that guard would srand up to a roo and would do similar or more damage than with out...

Doesnt look great for recovery either...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah not much stands up to em at full speed, was hoping to find something more solid but the best I can do atm

1 - 11 of 11 Posts