Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

New member here with a 3.7l Commander Sport. Question about towing capacity that we can't seem to get clarification on from the dealer, or the jeep website. We're looking to buy our first popup camper which has a GVWR of 4400lbs and an unloaded weight of 2900lbs. I'm assuming that our Commander would fall into the Std Towing capacity category of 3500lbs vs. the 6500lbs given the 3.7L engine, correct?

Can we pull this camper successfully w/out killing our truck? Any advice on interpreting the tow specs would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
141 Posts
3,500lbs is likely your maximum. You should double check your manual. You can download it from Jeep.com if you do not have it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like it'll be tight, but should work. We'd like to find a nice 07/08 Hemi, 4x4 to trade ours for, but for now, our 3.7l Sport will have to do.

With a 3500lb capacity, it should pull the 2900lb trailer, we just have to be careful not to overload the Jeep, or pop-up with too much gear.

mike

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
Mike,
In theory the 2,900lbs should be in range for you XK. You will need to keep in mind that the Evolution has lots of room for cargo that and that is why it has such a high GVW. As long as you keep the items that you bring with you to a minimum you will be OK. I think it will be easy for you to load enough stuff into the camper to exceed the 3,500lb capacity when you start loading up bikes, gear, clothes, cookware, and all the other camping stuff. If you can pack light then you will be OK but my suggestion would be to look for a lighter trailer that will allow you to pack more and not push the limits on towing.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
I was browsing around the popup trailers I think you would be better suited to the Evolution E1 it is a smaller trailer but the GVW is at 3500lbs that would be better suited for the towing with the V6.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Like it was just said, I would do the E1 instead just to be on the safe side. I was actually looking at these myself and decided not to because of the weight rating. We like to play when we go so I knew that I would end up having too much weight for my 3.7. If I didn't have the space for stuff then I wouldn't be tempted to bring it. My next jeep will have the 4.7 or 5.7 for sure though! Good luck and keep us updated when you make your decision!

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Also, when you're that close to maximum, watch the hills and heat. Heat kills. Lift your hood when you stop to let heat out.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
Also, when you're that close to maximum, watch the hills and heat. Heat kills. Lift your hood when you stop to let heat out.
This is a very good point! I don't know about the 3.7 but the 4.7 has a lot of plastic under the hood like the intake manifold, valve covers, and all the electronics. This is good to reduce weight and dissipate normal heat but I don't think it would stand up to over heating very well at all.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts