Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone out there know if a CDR (Commander) with the tow-package would easily tow a built Cherokee? Would use a Dolly, not a trailer.
Approximate weight probably 3500 lbs (vehicle and gear), trips 200 miles one way, small hills (on Interstates).
Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
I have the 4.7 with the tow package (added on). I can tow my boat, trailer, gear and four people (total weight approx. 6500 lbs.) with absolutely no problems. The boat trailer does not have electric brakes either (momentum acitivated hydraulic). If you get a hitch and wiring added on (aftermarket) make sure you get the tow package "turned on" in the computer. If it is not activated, the relays won't send the signals to the brake, turn, or hazard lights on the trailer (found out the hard way). Hope this helps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
258 Posts
Steelhead said:
If you get a hitch and wiring added on (aftermarket) make sure you get the tow package "turned on" in the computer. If it is not activated, the relays won't send the signals to the brake, turn, or hazard lights on the trailer (found out the hard way).
how do you get this done?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
my jc diesel is rated to tow 3 1/2 ton and does so without the blink of an eye and the fuel economy is getting better all the time .
out of a 77 litre tank I get over 650 kilometres and it has been said on a recent trail here they got 10.2 litres per hundred kilometres.
sorry about the kilometres and litres but am not sure of the conversion to mpg.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
72 Posts
One of the deciding factors for purchasing the Commander was the towing capacity. I wanted something that would tow a decent sized camper. Also after looking at all the other 7+ pass. SUV's that were in my price range, Commander was the obvious choice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
258 Posts
Deputycoz said:
One of the deciding factors for purchasing the Commander was the towing capacity. I wanted something that would tow a decent sized camper. Also after looking at all the other 7+ pass. SUV's that were in my price range, Commander was the obvious choice.
you have a camper? I picked one out today with the wife and kids. Looking to p/u on Wednesday. I have to get the hitch from them, I dont know what it looks like for sure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Would recommend the Air Lift 1000 rear air bag set up. Have it on my 2000 Gnd Cher Ltd and 2006 Commander, easy install keeps truck level regardless of weight. Have a 27ft Trail Cruiser Trailer pulled with the Gnd w/4.7 no problem 5700lbs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
72 Posts
rooney2oons said:
you have a camper? I picked one out today with the wife and kids. Looking to p/u on Wednesday. I have to get the hitch from them, I dont know what it looks like for sure.
Not yet, it is something that I want to get, talking hubby into it, probably in a year or so we will get one, besides that we have quads that we eventually want to start riding other places than in our town, so we would want to tow those too.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top