Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
2,248 Posts
I tow mine. Just follow the specific direction in the manual. That is what I do every time and have never had a problem flat towing it. You need a toothpick or ball point pen to push down the switch on the console. Take the key out when you tow it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't quite get to finish my post, flakey rural ISP. I haven't had a chance to get base plates, good tow bar yet. But I have a tow dolly I used last month & disconnected the driveshaft. Manual says not to tow 4x4 with rear wheels down, then says to put xfer case in neutral. Then the next entry is for 4 down towing say put xfer case in neutral & connect tow bar. The big question is does the xfer case in neutral disconnect front and rear axles from each other as well as the transmission, or just the transmission, leaving the center differential still tying both axles together. I know the differential is locked in low range, but I'n unsure of it's status in Neutral.If they're still connected, I"m not sure if it's an open differential in the xer case, or if it has limited slip clutches.

·
Registered
65 Posts
No worries about flat towing. Put transfer case in neutral and go. I do it all the time with no problems. I use a Roadmaster tow bar and mounting plates.

·
Premium Member
674 Posts
Manual says to NOT tow with front or rear wheels down.
Front or rear wheel lifts should not be used. Internal
damage to the transmission or transfer case will
occur if a front or rear wheel lift is used when
recreational towing. IE Transfer case in neutral QTII or QD II.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts