Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a hitch install on our JC limited about a month ago, but now I need to hookup the wiring kit. I got my local dealer to enable the towing feature on the commander's computer.
The problem im having is I can not find where I would hook up the wiring kit to the main wire harness of the JC.
Does anyone done this before? If so where is the connector located?
Thanks for any help given.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone? come on someone had to do this. Or was i the only DA that got a JC with out a hitch on it.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I cant advise you on a Commander but in a TJ you reach up under the inner wheel well panel on the Drivers side, pull down the wiring and attach your universal wire set. john

·
Registered
9 Posts
You have to remove left tail light to make first connection at the tail light harness, then run the harness to the battery from under vehicle, then if you want power to electric brake, you run a 1 lead wire through firewall. It is not hard if you have vehicle on a lift. I did it myself in about 45 mins

·
Registered
240 Posts
I would have a hard time believing that their is not a factory connection point that already exists. According to the mopar service manual it is called and underbody wiring harness and all that I can tell you about it is that according to the diagram it goes towards the drivers side of the vehicle. The manual is 9,000 pages and I have looked for an hour and can't find any other reference of this harness anywhere in the manual. My wife is driving our commander right now and is at work. when she gets home i will try to go outside with a flashlight and see if I can tell where the harness goes from the back of the hitch.

·
Registered
240 Posts
wvcommander said:
It's not hard to believe. I installed mine. I am the service manager for Jeep.
then i guess you should know. That changes it from hard to believe to just plain stupid.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Now i have a starting point.
Thanks for all your help guys.
Once i get mine install i will post pictures of the process.
LS

·
Registered
204 Posts
kfbagt said:
then i guess you should know. That changes it from hard to believe to just plain stupid.

They run all the wires to the left rear tail lamp. The relayed trailer turn signal wires are there even though they dont use them at the left rear tail lamp. The Mopar harness plugs into this connection, and has its own relay for the tail/stop and reverse lamps. The only wires that run to the front in the Mopar kit are power, ground, and electronic brake control. You can also order them with all the wiring and the hitch factory installed.

·
Registered
137 Posts
When you all ordered the 7 pin wiring harness from the stealership....is the 4-flat spliced/tapped into it or will this need to be done seperately? That's the way they come from the factory with the tow package.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts