Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have been having issues with the trailer lighting. the running lights work on the trailer but the left/right/stop do not. i have checked fuses but have come up with nothing. any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

·
2,248 Posts
I gave this advice the other day to someone else. Here is a starting point.

First, Split the system in half by checking with a 12 volt test light to see if you have power at the plug in connection. If you have lights on all three of the wires then the problem is in your trailer wiring. If so then work backwards to the point where you have power to the three light circuits. If you get power in the circuit then the problem is between the last place that you did not have power and where you did. Another thing to make sure is that you have a good ground. Often after tracing what someone thought was a lack of 12 volts the problem ends up being a loose or disconnected ground wire.

Good Luck, Take your time and you will figure it out.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the advice. i know the trailer is fine because i just pulled it with my duramax and had no issues. the trailer is a 5 pin, 5th pin for electric braking (only to allow the trailer to go in reverse because it is surge brakes). i towed my atv trailer which is a 4 pin and turn, stop, and running lights worked a few months ago. So i don't know where to start. i have checked the 20 amp fuses, i thought about just replacing them in case there is a hairline break. There also are relays, i thought about replacing them as well. Next i plan to go under the jeep and check the wiring.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,

I just bought an '07 Commander 3 weeks ago and have enjoyed trolling on this site ever since. I just joined the forum so I could reply to you.

I had the same issue with the "Hidden Hitch" package - was only getting the running lights, but no turn signals or brakes. When I took the Jeep back to the dealer (Chevy) to have the rear speakers fixed I told them I also needed the hitch wiring looked at. They ended up replacing the receptacle and wiring harness altogether and now it works like a champ.

Andy

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Hello,

I just bought an '07 Commander 3 weeks ago and have enjoyed trolling on this site ever since. I just joined the forum so I could reply to you.

I had the same issue with the "Hidden Hitch" package - was only getting the running lights, but no turn signals or brakes. When I took the Jeep back to the dealer (Chevy) to have the rear speakers fixed I told them I also needed the hitch wiring looked at. They ended up replacing the receptacle and wiring harness altogether and now it works like a champ.

Andy
Welcome to the forum, 94Cavie. Are you planning any mods or doing any off-roading?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts