Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been asked before but I didn't see what I want to do to fix it. My jeep has a RC 2" lift and its level now. OEM is obviously front raked. This week I towed a car with a 2200 trailer and even the trailer had me squatting about 2". The car added another 1-2" so the front was very lifted. Easiest thing I can think of is another spring from a truck or something that is the same length and width but a much thicker coil or spring rate. Anyone have this spring in mind? Maybe off of a dodge 2500 or something?

·
Registered
309 Posts
I know this has been asked before but I didn't see what I want to do to fix it. My jeep has a RC 2" lift and its level now. OEM is obviously front raked. This week I towed a car with a 2200 trailer and even the trailer had me squatting about 2". The car added another 1-2" so the front was very lifted. Easiest thing I can think of is another spring from a truck or something that is the same length and width but a much thicker coil or spring rate. Anyone have this spring in mind? Maybe off of a dodge 2500 or something?
Couple things out there for you:
You can get an airbag kit to support the rear of the vehicle. There a few kits that work with XK/WKs, just find a decent shop that work with these. They can be pricey though...

or

you can get some new springs from OME/ARB. It is best to call them for what spring would be best for you. The price is $160 from most places and fairly easy to install if you are handy.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
The trailers weight distribution (tongue weight) and how the tow hitches line up make a huge difference in squat. Before I spend a lot of money and time on air bags and/or different springs, I'd get a tow hitch that is the correct height for the trailer, and check the tongue weight/weight distribution of the trailer. A $35 tow hitch that lowers the ball 2" is probably a lot cheaper than air bags, as well, moving stuff around the trailer to get it to the proper tongue weight is something you should do anyway.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The trailers weight distribution (tongue weight) and how the tow hitches line up make a huge difference in squat. Before I spend a lot of money and time on air bags and/or different springs, I'd get a tow hitch that is the correct height for the trailer, and check the tongue weight/weight distribution of the trailer. A $35 tow hitch that lowers the ball 2" is probably a lot cheaper than air bags, as well, moving stuff around the trailer to get it to the proper tongue weight is something you should do anyway.
Well I have a proper hitch for the ride height of my vehical and trailer. And as for placing the car I don't have that option using a uhaul trailer. The car has to go all the way up to the front stops to use their straps.

I'll call ome, thanks guys.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I pull a 4800 lb trailer with my 06 - 4.7L. With proper set-up, the Commander only sets 1/2" lower than without having the trailer on the weight distribution hitch. The tongue weight on the Jeep is about 650 lbs. I know that many trailers (rentals) do not have weight distribution hitches, but swapping to the HD springs will give a stiff ride forever. Been there. Maybe better rent/borrow the tow rig, if that's an option.
My 2 cents.... Good luck with it.

Joe R.
SW Washington

·
Super Moderator
5,865 Posts
Mongo nailed it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2" RC lift and tow a 4500lb camper. Without a drop hitch and weight distribution hitch, the Commander body was almost rubbing the tires and there was a definite lack of steering control. With a drop hitch and weight distribution hitch, she doesn't squat at all, plus the hitch controls sway in the trailer. I bought a top shelf setup and spent about $550, but you can buy a decent one for about $300.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts