Jeep Commander Forum banner

41 - 42 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Well, I kind of like what this conversation turned into. For the record, my family has two high medical needs persons in it. Unfortunately, it's bad enough we cannot leave cell phone range while hiking.

Once we have the funds, I will be purchasing one of the more expensive Garmin units to take along with us when we go into the mountains. I've done some research regarding the satellite networks and their capabilities and will stick with the Iridium devices.

·
Administrator
6,434 Posts
It's nice to be able to check in at home when I am away from cell service. Being able to receive messages from home is also a nice feature. When I am out in the wilderness by myself I often send my wife an email or text to let her know I am ok. She can click on the link that accompanies the message and it will open up a map and show my exact location.
I still have some time to decide; It will be either SPOT-X or Garmin InReach; I have several of other Garmin devices, so, I know they work well - their price plans are on the expensive side though.

I also have a couple of Iridium Satellite phones here where I work, so, I'm very familiar with the superior coverage of the Iridium Satellite network.

41 - 42 of 42 Posts