Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I towed a 24' Rance aluminum enclosed trailer, full of tool box, tools, furniture etc...1200 miles each way last weekend. Total weight is tough to say but the trailer is 3000lbs. and I figured between 3 and 4 thousand in cargo. I have a 12000lb Equal-i-zer brand hitch, and used a Prodigy brake controller. The tow was smooth overall, I could have used some rear air bags to level it up though. Power was lacking uphill, not too bad but not the power I was hoping for. It got just over 8 mpg 1200 miles there, and just over 9 mpg 1200 miles back empty according to the trip computer. My wallet still hurts- and getting gas every 160 or so miles got old too. I maintained 60-70 mph except some hills where 50 was all she had. Still it was up to the task overall, so I give it a B+ for max capacity towing.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Thats a hell of alot of weight for any gas motor vehicle to tow.Thats into Deisel territory. I tow about 4800 lbs (boat and gear), under max load capability, with absolutely no problems..I dare say it tows better than my 5.4L F-150 LOL!!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Towing question?

We're still waiting on an owner's manual for the Commander. Apparently they are back ordered right now. My husband is planning a fishing trip and has some questions about towing. We have the 5.7 Limited. He'll be towing his aluminum fishing boat, which weighs about 1200 lbs. Is it safe to tow with the Commander in drive, or do you need to limit it to a lower gear? Obviously, this isn't much of a load for the Commander, but we don't want to damage the transmission. Thanks!

Katy

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Re: Towing question?

Yes you can tow in drive. For better results engage the Tow/Haul mode which will change the shift points.

I also would suggest getting a proportional trailer brake controller.

·
Registered
29 Posts

I tow a 17.5 ft fibreglass fish/ski w/ 90 hp motor....total weight including gear, trailer, etc is probly right around 2,000 pounds. I only use tow/haul going up steep hills. You will probably not even notice you are towing....braking is a piece of cake, and you don't get dinged too hard on your mileage either. Last week i towed my buddy'e 21ft bass boat...and I could definitely feel the weight, but no problems whatsoever......we passed everything on the road except a gas station. Mileage dropped to about 12. That boat has brakes on the trailer, mine does not.

Short answer to your question....you'll have no problems whatsoever.

tight lines!

Dan

·
Registered
192 Posts

I tow a 29' cruiser (although only 2x/year) and have no problems. Total weight, incl. trailer is roughly 8,000#. YES---engage the "tow/haul" button on the dash.

·
Registered
21 Posts

rubicontrail.net said:
Yes you can tow in drive. For better results engage the Tow/Haul mode which will change the shift points.

I also would suggest getting a proportional trailer brake controller.
I would not engage to tow/haul for only a 1200 pound load, only for a load of about 2000 or more. Same thing on the brake controller, only 2000 pounds or more.

·
Registered
16 Posts

Tow away! I pull well little over 1400lbs quite a few times a month to the tracks and trails.....no problems. Definatlely use the tow mode in hilly situations, it'll take a load off the brakes and allow for gearing to, somewhat, control the roll. Anything, by law, over 3500lbs will have brakes.....you're safe. Just don't forget the iced tea and sanwiches.....have fun.

·
Registered
97 Posts

Thanks, guys. I'm sure he'll have a blast. I'm staying here with the kids, so maybe not so much for me.

Katy

·
Administrator
16,135 Posts

Katy, you will have no problem towing 1200lbs in "drive". And you don't need trailer brakes either.

·
Registered
264 Posts

Regardless of all of what has been said here:

I took a Jeep 02 Liberty 3.7 (4X2) from NC (coast) to AL (90 mi from Atlanta)
In Atlanta, I ran into 12" puddles on I-20 (10 MPH on I-20))
My MPG went from 20 to 12/13 on the interstates
It was the biggest U-Haul trailer
No back brakes
Top speed: 75/80 MPH
U-Haul oked my load

·
Registered
134 Posts

Sorry for the hijack, but...

So you towed a Liberty? How much did the Commander squat once everything was loaded on the trailer? If I tow with mine it will be using my 16' car hauler to pull my Jeep YJ around. The total weight will be around 6k. This is below the Commander 'rating', but you are the first person I have run into who has towed something close

·
Registered
97 Posts
Another towing question..

I bought a new horse trailer today, which nicely matches my Commander (red inferno, 5.7 Limited with the tow package). It is 2680 lbs empty weight, with about 1500 extra with the horse and pony added. Any ideas on which trailer brake box to buy? Any other suggestions? We have a truck as our primary tow vehicle, but I'll use the Jeep when the truck is towing the Sea Ray.

Katy

·
Registered
192 Posts
Re: Another towing question..

There are no brakes on a new horse trailer? I'd take it back!

·
Registered
473 Posts

tekonsha makes a good product. mine can be mounted at any angle and still work.

·
Registered
97 Posts

The horse trailer has electric brakes on all four wheels, but I still need a controller box in the Jeep, right? Dh said some of the new trucks have them built in, but then he drove off in the Jeep, so I can't check the manual.

Katy

·
Administrator
16,135 Posts

Yes, you will need a brake controller. As topcop38 said Tekonsha controllers seem to be a good product. Try googling it. I would suggest you check out the Tekonsha PRODIGY(http://www.etrailer.com/pc-BC~90185.htm)--it is a proportional controller.This means it will apply the trailer brakes proportionally to the braking on the Commander. Not all controllers do this.

Reactions: Sniperdoc

·
Registered
2,473 Posts

joskt0204 said:
The horse trailer has electric brakes on all four wheels, but I still need a controller box in the Jeep, right? Dh said some of the new trucks have them built in, but then he drove off in the Jeep, so I can't check the manual.

Katy
Yeah, I know some of the Ford F-series pickups have it built in. This is something I wish Jeep would do as part of the tow package.

·
Registered
588 Posts

I looked at that brake controller, at that price I wouldnt mind getting one but am wondering what is involved in installation and how difficult it is?? I have the 7,200# towing package to tow my TJ but have been unable to buy a trailer as have no place to store it. Thus, I am thinking of just renting a trailer at U-haul for my once or twice a year trip out of state. Is a brake controller really necessary for such limited use? Would it work on ANY electric brake trailer or are you supposed to buy the trailer and match the controller to it? john

1 - 20 of 59 Posts